1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction and Tension problem

1. Oct 7, 2007 #1
    Hi You guys, my first post on here. I'm having a bit of a hard time getting my head around Tension and friction, so am hoping for a little help, which would be much appreciated!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Block B rests on block A, which in turn is on a horizontal tabletop. There is no friction between A and the tabletop, but the coefficient of static friction between A and B is u_s < 1. A massless string connects A to a block C. The string passes over a frictionless and massless pulley, and block C is suspended from the other end.
    [​IMG]

a) draw the free-body diagrams for A+B, B and C, ( if A and B moves together )

b) what is the largest mass C can have so that A and B still slide together when the system is released from rest.?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've drawn the free body diagrams, and trying to find a expression for m_C. But am a bit stuck. If there had been no friction bewteen A and B, B would have slid of when the system is released, so somehow the friction plays into this.
    I also know that T is equal for both A and C.
    And that A+B moves along the x-axis and C on the y-axis, whic means there is no a_y for A+B and no a_x for C. As they are connected they both move with the same acceleration, so far so good.

My initial thought is :

T = m_a+b*a - f and
    T = w_c ( newtons 3.law, block c works on the string and the string works on block C)

and from there say
    m_a+b*a - f = m_c *g (g=a)

-->

m_a+b - f/g = m_c

am I completely on the wrong track??

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

The answer must contain [itex]\mu_s[/itex] and the mass of B.

The forces on C are simply the weight mC and the tension upward by the string.

The tension pulls on A and B.

A, B and C must accelerate together as a single mass if B is to remain stationary with respect to A.

What is the friction between B and A? How does that relate to the acceleration of A+B+C.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?