1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction and tension

1. Oct 19, 2006 #1
    Two masses accelerate along a flat horizontal surface. They are connected by a rope. There is no friction between M_2 and the surface but friction between M1 is described by mu_k. the rope connecting M1 and M2 (M2 is right of M1) breats at a tension T_o. What is the maximum force F that can be applied to the system (pulling M2) that can be applied to the system without the rope breaking.

This is what I did so far.

I drew the free body diagrams for both. For M1, I have Normal force pointing up, graviyt down, friction to the left, and tension to the right.

For M2, I have gravity down, normal force up, F to the right, and T to the left.

For M1

x) T-f_k = (m1)*a
    y) N - M1*g = 0

For M2

x) F-T = M2*a
    y) N2- M2*g = 0

So I got T = m1a + f_k
    and F = T + M2 * a

I plugged things in and got

F = (M1 + M2)a + mu_k * N1

However, I know this is the wrong answer. I am suppose to express F in terms of T_o somehow. What am I suppose to do from here?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

You will have two expressions for the acceleration of each mass (F=ma).
    Divide one equation by other and eliminate the acceleration a. Solve for T_o.
  4. Oct 19, 2006 #3
    If I divide I get

(T-f_k)/(F-T) = m1/m2

What do I do now? I know that I cannot use a in the final answer but both of the relationships I got from the free body diagrams involves a.
  5. Oct 19, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

Sorry, I should have said solve for F, in my last post.

(T-f_k)/(F-T) = m1/m2
    (m2/m1)(T-f_k) = F-T
    F = T + (m2/m1)(T-mu_k.m1)
  6. Oct 19, 2006 #5
    Thanks very much.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?