1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction: belt & pulley.

1. Apr 25, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I've attached a picture of the problem. I couldn't get beta=120 degrees, for pulley B. How do you get that. Could the question be mistakenly missing this info in the question?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2007 #2
    I was thinking about it and drawing circles and lines. Can you tell me if this is a general rule (please look at attachment where I draw circles): when lines are drawn (simulating a rubber band around 2 pulleys), adding blue arcs from both circles will always equal 360 degrees? The blue arc from one circle, and the yellow arc from the other circle are equal in terms of the contact angle, yes?

Attached Files:

4. Apr 25, 2007 #3
    They get beta = 120 from the given angle of 60 degrees.

180 - 60 = 120 degrees

The 60 degrees is referancing from the top of the pulley. To change the referance point to the bottom of the second pulley they performed the above calculation.

Also, since thier referance point is perpendicular to the belt on both pullies they are parallel to each other so the angle referances can then be translated from the larger pulley to the smaller pulley.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  5. Apr 26, 2007 #4
    cool, thx.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?