Friction between table and pool ball

In summary, to calculate the force of friction and coefficient of friction between a pool ball and a table, you first need to calculate the normal force. This can be done using the weight of the pool ball, which is given as 0.17kg, and the acceleration due to gravity, which is 9.8 m/s^2. From there, you can use Newton's second law for rotational motion to calculate the force of friction. Then, using the formula µ=F(subF)/F(subN), you can find the coefficient of friction. In this case, the coefficient of friction is approximately 0.0436. However, there may be some errors in the calculations, so it is important to double check the work.
Drey0287
Assume the weight of a pool ball is .17kg. If the ball traveled 1.2 m in 5.3 seconds, what is the force of Friction and coefficient of friction between the pool ball and the table?

Now, All I know how to do it calculate the normal force which is (9.8)(.17) = .1666 but where do i get from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Drey0287 said:
Assume the weight of a pool ball is .17kg. If the ball traveled 1.2 m in 5.3 seconds, what is the force of Friction and coefficient of friction between the pool ball and the table?

Now, All I know how to do it calculate the normal force which is (9.8)(.17) = .1666 but where do i get from here?

Hints:Use Newton's second law for the rotational motion.(torque is the sum of momenta of all forces).From there u should find µ.The normal force u calculated should be ten times bigger.
[tex] I=\frac{3mr^{2}}{5} [/tex]

Daniel.

I find the acceleration to be 0.04272 m/s^2

Therefore, can you not find the force of friction through F=ma?

F(subF)=(.17kg)(0.04272 m/s^2)

mew=F(subF)/F(subN)

mew=0.007262/0.1666

mew=0.0436

check my work, i may be wrong

soccerjayl said:
I find the acceleration to be 0.04272 m/s^2

Therefore, can you not find the force of friction through F=ma?

F(subF)=(.17kg)(0.04272 m/s^2)

mew=F(subF)/F(subN)

mew=0.007262/0.1666

mew=0.0436

check my work, i may be wrong

My µ approximately equal to 0,003.

Show your reasoning to depict you mistakes.

Daniel.

1. What is friction between a table and pool ball?

Friction is the force that resists motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other. In the case of a pool ball on a table, it is the force that acts in the opposite direction of the ball's motion, slowing it down and eventually bringing it to a stop.

2. Why is friction between a table and pool ball important?

Friction plays a crucial role in the game of pool because it allows players to control the movement and speed of the ball. Without friction, the ball would continue to roll without stopping, making the game much more difficult and less strategic.

3. How does the type of table surface affect friction between a table and pool ball?

The type of table surface can greatly affect the amount of friction between a table and pool ball. A rougher surface will result in more friction, causing the ball to slow down faster. A smoother surface will have less friction, allowing the ball to roll further.

4. Can friction between a table and pool ball be increased or decreased?

Yes, the amount of friction between a table and pool ball can be adjusted. By using different types of chalk or powder on the table surface, players can increase or decrease the amount of friction. Additionally, the angle and force at which the cue stick strikes the ball can also affect the amount of friction.

5. How does friction between a table and pool ball affect the game?

The amount of friction between a table and pool ball can greatly impact the game. It affects the speed and trajectory of the ball, making it easier or more difficult for players to make shots. Understanding and controlling friction is an important skill for any pool player to master.