1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction: Blocks and Plane

1. Oct 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Masses m1 and m2 are attached via a light string and pulley on an inclined plane as shown above. m1 has a value of 12 kg and moves down the plane at a constant velocity of 0.9 m/sec. The plane is tilted upwards at an angle of Θ = 26 °. The coefficient of static friction between m1 and the plane is μs = 0.24 and the coefficient of kinetic friction is μk = 0.19.

https://wug-s.physics.uiuc.edu/cgi/courses/shell/common/showme.pl?cc/DuPage/phys2111/fall/homework/Ch-06-Forces/friction_block_plane/plane_blocks.gif [Broken]

What is the mass of m2?

2. Relevant equations

F = ma
    f = uk(m1)g

3. The attempt at a solution

y1: m1sin(theta) - T - f = m1a
    x1: N - mgcos(theta) = m1a

y2: T -m2g = m2a

Plugging in the numbers in to y1 and then I set it equal to T. I then put that equation into y2 and I got 8.5kg for m2, and apparently this is incorrect. Any ideas?
    Is my free body diagram correct? Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2009 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You forgot the "g" in m1sin(theta)
    The acceleration in a direction perpendicular to the plane is zero because, as it moves, the block does not jump off or sink into the plane. Use the correct N to find the force of friction f.
    This is OK.

4. Oct 2, 2009 #3

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Missing a factor of g in the first term. And of course a=0 so the right side is zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook