Calculating Work Done by Brakes: A Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the driver of a car with a mass of 1368kg braked to slow down from 92km/h to 63km/h. The question asks for the work done by the brakes (friction), but the necessary information is not provided, such as the friction coefficient. The answer given by the lecturer is 237 KJ, but the student is unsure of how to obtain this answer. They have attempted to use conservation of energy and have spent over an hour on the question, but are still stuck and in need of guidance.
Chica1975

Homework Statement

the driver of a car mass 1368kg braked momentarily to slow down from 92km/h (25.556m/s) to 63 km/h (17.5m/s) how much work was done by the brakes (friction).

Homework Equations

w = Fd
F=ma
difference between initial acceleration and final acceleration s 8.056m/s (25.556 - 17.5)
mg = 13406.40

The Attempt at a Solution

I ave drawn the picture, I have tried a number of calculations - I am completely lost - I have no friction coefficient and don't know where to start. I have looked a book I have that has problems but has nothing like this. Apparently, the answer is 237.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to use conservation of energy. I have no idea where 237 comes from, it's much to low (and has no units!)

Thanks - this is the answer the lecturer has given for this question. I have no idea how to get it out.

the units are KJ

Thanks I tried to use conservation energy equation. I can't get this out.

Please can some explain to me step by step how to do this - I have been on this question for the last hour and a half and have tried all sorts of things with different equations - its not working.

I need a reference point to start from I have no idea - I am stuck.

What is friction in the context of car brakes?

Friction is the force that resists the motion between two surfaces in contact. In the context of car brakes, friction is the force that slows down or stops the car when the brake pads come into contact with the rotors.

How do brakes use friction to stop a car?

When you press on the brake pedal, it pushes the brake pads against the rotors, creating friction. This friction converts the kinetic energy of the car into heat energy, which slows down the car and eventually brings it to a stop.

What factors affect the amount of friction between the brake pads and rotors?

The amount of friction between the brake pads and rotors is affected by the materials used, the surface area of contact, the force applied, and the speed of the car. Different brake pad materials and designs can also affect the amount of friction generated.

Why is it important to have proper friction in car brakes?

Having proper friction in car brakes is crucial for the safety and performance of the vehicle. Too little friction can result in longer stopping distances and reduced control, while too much friction can cause the brakes to overheat and fail.

How can friction in car brakes be maintained?

To maintain proper friction in car brakes, it is important to regularly check and replace brake pads and rotors as needed. It is also important to follow recommended braking techniques, such as avoiding sudden and excessive braking, to prevent excessive wear and tear on the brakes.