Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction Challenge

1. Feb 19, 2006 #1
    Can anyone think of a way where friction increases the speed of a moving body, instead of decreasing it? Or prove that this is impossible.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2006 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, in the case of STATIC friction, one might, if you wish, say that the static friction accelerates one of the bodies (think of two boxes on top of each other, the lower box receives an external force, whereas the top box is only influenced by the static friction between itself and the other box).

4. Feb 19, 2006 #3
    Is there any case where kinetic friction would help accelerate an object? For example, if a wedge is being accelerated at a very high rate, it is possible for the mass to travel up the wedge despite gravity. Would this be considered as speeding up?

5. Feb 19, 2006 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

[QUOTE='AQF]Is there any case where kinetic friction would help accelerate an object? [/QUOTE]

A sailboat.

Zz.

6. Feb 19, 2006 #5
    Can you expain this?

7. Feb 19, 2006 #6

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Everytime I drop my luggage on the conveyor at the airport it speeds up! :)

8. Feb 19, 2006 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

[QUOTE='AQF]Can you expain this?[/QUOTE] A sailboat going straight downwind essentially uses its sails as a big parachute - and that's kinetic/dynamic friction (drag).

[A sailboat going upwind (at an angle) uses lift.]

9. Feb 21, 2006 #8
    if the ground irregularities have a sawtooth appearance (microscopically speaking, of course) and the object which is on it also has this appearance in the interface, then it is possible in principle for the thermal motion to produce movement, which represents acceleration if you start with the object at rest.

Best Regards,

DaTario

10. Feb 21, 2006 #9

Danger

Gold Member

In line with ZZ and Russ' answers, a car wouldn't accelerate very well without friction between the tires and the ground; that, however, sidesteps what I think might be the original question of friction alone causing movement.

11. Feb 22, 2006 #10
    Can friction alone cause motion, or is this impossible?

12. Feb 22, 2006 #11

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Please reread the answers you have already gotten. The sailboat example is a clear "yes" to your question.

13. Feb 22, 2006 #12

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[QUOTE='AQF]Is there any case where kinetic friction would help accelerate an object? For example, if a wedge is being accelerated at a very high rate, it is possible for the mass to travel up the wedge despite gravity. Would this be considered as speeding up?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I would say so. If you have an object on a surface. Let's say a plate on piece of fabric. And you pull violently on the clothing (to the right, say). I think that for a short time, the plate will be moving to the right (and sliding against the piece of fabric) and will be accelerating to the right. The fabric is moving faster than the plate, so in the frame of the piece of fabric, the plate is moving to the left with a kinetic friction acting to the right. But I think it's possible to pull the fabric with sufficient force that the plate will accelerate to the right due to the kinetic friction. But that's not based on an actual proof, just my intuition.

The example of the sailboat I think is a bit a stretch because no kinetic friction in the usual sense (due to two surfaces sliding against each other) is involved. I don't see how a drag force could be considered a kinetic friction force. This is all semantics, but that's my opinion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?