Is the Kinetic Friction Coefficient Consistent Across Different Modes of Motion?

In summary, the question is whether the kinetic friction coefficient should be the same when an object is pulled with a constant velocity compared to when it is pushed and released. The data and calculations provided suggest that the coefficient should be the same, but there may be a large error present. The coefficient is determined by the formula Fk = mu * Fn, where Fk is the kinetic friction force, mu is the coefficient of kinetic friction, and Fn is the normal force. The measurements in both cases show similar values for these variables, indicating that the coefficient should be the same. However, it is important to ensure that no upward force is acting when pulling the mass, as this can affect the normal force and therefore the coefficient.
badsis
Hello,

Here is my question:
should the kinetic friction coefficient Fk be the same when the object with mass m is pulled with a constant velocity as the kinetic friction coefficient with the same mass m when it was pushed and released.
The measurements in the second case were taken from the decelerating part of the Force vs. Time graph.

I have several table with data many of which i have calculated myself.
from the formula: Fk = ;mu * Fn
Fk - kinetik friction force,
;mu - coefficient of friction kinetic force
Fn - normal force
in the first case I have:
m = 0.09 kg
Fk = 0.1387 N (the uncertainty here is 17% ! Fk = 0.1387 +- 0.0238)
Fn = 0.882 N
=> ;mu = 0.1573

In the second case:
m = 0.09 kg
Fk = 0.2585 N
Fn = 0.882 N
=> ;mu = 0.2931
here i also have uncertainty in acceleration which I use in order to find Fk.

So, my question is: Should the coefficient ;mu be different in two cases or do I have such a big error?

THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org
The coefficient should be the same. If you are pulling the mass be careful that no component of the force acts upwards since this will reduce the normal force.

Hello,

Thank you for your question regarding friction coefficients. The kinetic friction coefficient (Fk) should theoretically be the same in both cases, regardless of whether the object is pulled with a constant velocity or pushed and released. This is because the coefficient of kinetic friction is a measure of the amount of force needed to maintain a constant velocity, and it is independent of the direction of motion. However, in practice, there may be slight variations due to experimental error or other factors.

Based on the data you have provided, it appears that there may be a difference in the measured values of Fk and ;mu. This could be due to several reasons, such as inconsistencies in the experimental setup or limitations of the equipment used for measurements. It is also important to note that the uncertainty in the measurements may contribute to the difference in the calculated values of ;mu.

In order to accurately determine the coefficient of kinetic friction, it is important to repeat the experiment multiple times and take into account any sources of error. This will help to reduce the uncertainty in the measurements and provide a more accurate value for ;mu. I recommend consulting with your lab instructor or a colleague to troubleshoot any potential sources of error in your experiment and to discuss ways to improve the accuracy of your measurements.

Overall, it is expected that the kinetic friction coefficient should be consistent in both cases, but slight variations may occur in practice. It is important to carefully analyze your data and consider sources of error in order to accurately determine the coefficient of kinetic friction. I hope this helps to answer your question. Good luck with your experiments!

What is a friction coefficient?

A friction coefficient is a dimensionless quantity that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is used to quantify the resistance to motion or sliding between the two surfaces.

How is a friction coefficient measured?

A friction coefficient is measured by conducting experiments where the two surfaces are in contact with each other and a force is applied to one of the surfaces to cause it to slide or move. The ratio of the applied force to the normal force (force perpendicular to the surface) is the friction coefficient.

What factors affect the friction coefficient between two surfaces?

The friction coefficient between two surfaces is affected by the nature of the surfaces, the roughness of the surfaces, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the presence of any lubricants.

What is the difference between static and kinetic friction coefficients?

The static friction coefficient is the amount of resistance to motion between two surfaces when they are not moving relative to each other. The kinetic friction coefficient is the amount of resistance to motion between two surfaces when they are already in motion relative to each other.

How can friction coefficients be useful?

Friction coefficients are useful in many areas of science and engineering, such as designing machinery and vehicles, understanding the motion of objects, and predicting wear and tear on surfaces. They also play a crucial role in sports, such as determining the traction of a car's tires or the grip of a tennis player's shoes on the court.