Friction Coefficients: Tungsten Carbide & Sapphire | Master Table

In summary, there is no definitive table of friction coefficients between materials, as it is a complex and variable factor influenced by surface conditions. Any tabulated data should be viewed as an estimate and may not accurately apply to a specific case.
Sturk200
Where do I find a good comprehensive table of friction coefficients between various materials? I'd like, in particular, to be able to compare the coefficient of static friction between tungsten carbide and sapphire and that between sapphire and sapphire. Tables that I have found tend to have sapphire on sapphire, but not tungsten carbide on sapphire. Is there some master table of these things that engineers know about or am I just going to have to get my hands on these materials and test them myself?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is a murky area, I think in part because there is so much variation in the data. The question depends on much more than just which materials are in contact. It is particularly dependent on the surface conditions, and these conditions are non-repeatable.

Imagine that you set up a test to measure the coefficient of friction, using the same two specimens for 5 different tests. Each time you run the test, you wear away a small amount of material and change the lubrication state on the contact surfaces. So even though you are using exactly the same two specimens, they really are not quite the same from one test to the next. If you use five different pairs, you can expect even more spread in your data.

The short answer is any tabulated data you find is only an experience based estimate that may, or may not, apply in your particular case.

1. What is the definition of friction coefficient?

The friction coefficient is a dimensionless value that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force.

2. What is the significance of tungsten carbide and sapphire in friction coefficients?

Tungsten carbide and sapphire are two materials commonly used in industrial applications due to their high hardness and durability. They have very low friction coefficients, making them ideal for use in high-wear and high-temperature environments.

3. How is the friction coefficient affected by the surface roughness of tungsten carbide and sapphire?

The surface roughness of a material can affect its friction coefficient. In the case of tungsten carbide and sapphire, a smoother surface will result in a lower friction coefficient due to less surface contact and friction between the two materials.

4. Are there any other factors that can influence friction coefficients of tungsten carbide and sapphire?

Yes, there are several other factors that can affect the friction coefficients of these materials. These include temperature, pressure, lubrication, and surface contamination. Additionally, the type of motion between the two surfaces, such as sliding or rolling, can also impact the friction coefficient.

5. How can knowing the friction coefficients of tungsten carbide and sapphire be useful in practical applications?

Knowing the friction coefficients of these materials can be useful in designing and selecting materials for specific applications. For example, in the manufacturing of cutting tools, a low friction coefficient between the tool and workpiece can result in less wear and longer tool life. In addition, understanding the friction coefficients of these materials can also aid in predicting and improving the efficiency of mechanical systems.