Find Friction Constant in Lisa's Carousel Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the friction constant for a person sitting on a carousel at different distances from the center. The correct velocity for the person is calculated as 1.88m/s. Two methods for finding the friction constant are presented, and it is determined that they are essentially the same. The correct answer for the friction constant is found to be 0.3.
shanie
Hey, I'm having trouble finding the friction constant in the following question:

Lisa is sitting on a carousel 0.55m from the centre. The carousel rotates at 15laps/min and Lisa weighs 33kg.

a) what is Lisa's velocity?
b) Lisa moves away from her spot so that she is rotating 1.2m from the centre. What is the lowest friction constant that will keep her in place?

Now I calculated the velocity by setting v=s/t=2πr/T, where T = 60s/15laps=4
so v=0.864 m/s (I'd appreciate if someone could tell me if this is right..)
I'm trying to pick between 2 methods for finding the friction constant:

1) calculating the friction constant could be done by v=(μrg)1/2
which gives μ=0.05.

2)But then Fμ=μmg, and since Fμ is also = ma, I could calculate the centripetal acceleration by having a=v2/r=0.62 m/s2
And then putting it into F=ma, giving Fμ=20.5N.
Putting the force back into Fμ=μmg, giving μ=0.063.

So which answer is right? I would really appreciate if someone could help me out!

Physics news on Phys.org
shanie said:
Now I calculated the velocity by setting v=s/t=2πr/T, where T = 60s/15laps=4
so v=0.864 m/s (I'd appreciate if someone could tell me if this is right..)
Looks OK. (For part a, not for part b.)
I'm trying to pick between 2 methods for finding the friction constant:
Those two methods seem identical to me: They both derive from setting static friction equal to centripetal force.

But neither of your answers are correct. (How did you calculation the speed?)

Thanks for helping out!
Is the assumption wrong? So then I should calculate the normal&gravitational force and then split the centripetal force between them? How would you do that?

shanie said:
Is the assumption wrong?
What assumption? That static friction must equal the centripetal force? No, that's perfectly correct. It's just an application of Newton's 2nd law.

If you follow through on your method 2 approach symbolically (not by plugging in numbers), you'll get the same equation as in your method 1.

Oh, I used the wrong velocity! So now I did it with Lisa sitting 1.2m from the centre, v=s/t=2πr/T giving v = 1.88m/s. Plugging into v^2/rg= μ=0.3..?

Good!

What is the "Find Friction Constant in Lisa's Carousel Problem"?

The "Find Friction Constant in Lisa's Carousel Problem" is a physics problem that involves calculating the friction constant in a carousel ride based on the angular velocity and acceleration of the ride.

Why is it important to find the friction constant in Lisa's Carousel Problem?

Finding the friction constant in Lisa's Carousel Problem is important because it helps us understand the forces acting on the ride and how it affects the motion of the ride. This knowledge can be applied to real-life scenarios, such as designing safer and more efficient amusement park rides.

What are the factors that affect the friction constant in Lisa's Carousel Problem?

The factors that affect the friction constant in Lisa's Carousel Problem include the type of material the ride is made of, the surface area of contact between the ride and the ground, and the weight of the ride.

What is the formula used to calculate the friction constant in Lisa's Carousel Problem?

The formula used to calculate the friction constant in Lisa's Carousel Problem is μ = (mRω^2)/g, where μ is the friction constant, m is the mass of the ride, R is the radius of the ride, ω is the angular velocity, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How can the friction constant in Lisa's Carousel Problem be used in real-life applications?

The friction constant in Lisa's Carousel Problem can be used in real-life applications such as designing amusement park rides, calculating the amount of force needed to move objects in circular motion, and understanding the effects of friction on rotating machinery.