1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction: coursework question

1. Oct 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have been facing constant problems in solving questions about friction. I wish to formulate a general method of solving such questions.
    [​IMG]
    Here u1, u2 and u3 are friction coefficients. (Assume kinetic coefficient to be same as limiting static coefficient )
    I wish to find the acceleration in each block in a systematic manner when a force F is applied on block
    1) A
    2) B
    3) C

Help me discern a solution in a systematic manner in order that I may remember it for a long time.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2008 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Friction:

What answer would you like us to give? :)

4. Oct 3, 2008 #3

1)Proceeding for the first part. A force F newton is applied on block A. My aim is to calculate the acceleration of all the 3 blocks. How shall I proceed?
    Someone please help me. I am not asking for solution but please will you guide me through it??

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  5. Oct 4, 2008 #4

Please help me guys

6. Oct 5, 2008 #5

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry, I missed your previous post.

OK so let's start with the first case then. First try to describe in words (well, you can use formula's, but not entire calculations) what will happen when the force is applied? Well, that depends on the magnitude of the force. Can you say what happens in the two possible scenario's, and what the transition between them is? Do you know of any formulas that will give the frictional force of the top block on the one below it, in the two different cases?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?