Friction Equilibrium Problem: Solving for Minimum Coefficient of Friction

In summary, the discussion was about finding the minimum coefficient of friction and the normal force acting at point B in a system with two members. The solution involved summing forces in the x and y directions and using two equations with two unknowns. The Y component at B was found to be the friction force. Some members suggested breaking down the forces in the x and y directions and using trigonometry to solve for the unknowns. The final answer was determined to be 9.15N.
Oblivion77

Homework Statement

jf9guc.png

Homework Equations

Sum of forces in x,y and f/N=coefficient of friction

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure where to begin, I think each member there is a 2 force member. I already found the minimum coefficient of friction by doing Tan(8)

Physics news on Phys.org
Oblivion77;1969180I think each member there is a 2 force member[/QUOTE said:
Correct. What you now need to find is the force normal to the wall acting at point B. Sum the foces in the X and Y, you will have two equations with two unkowns. Finding the friction force is simply just the Y component at B.

Topher925 said:
Correct. What you now need to find is the force normal to the wall acting at point B. Sum the foces in the X and Y, you will have two equations with two unkowns. Finding the friction force is simply just the Y component at B.

Thanks, would I need to use both members or can I only use the bottom member to find the answer?

Topher925 said:

Are you sure that is correct? I didn't know the y component of the normal is the friction? If there was just the normal what would be the other unknown?

anyone have any ideas? I tried some stuff, and got an answer as 9.15N. Not sure if that is correct.

Last edited:
Still stuck on it.

try and break it down into forces in y direction and forces in x direction

here is what I get for the y direction, T is the tension force
[itex]
T_{1} \cos (30^{ \circ }) + T_2 \sin( 8^{\circ}) -mg = 0
[/itex]

try and get the x direction forces into an equation

1. What is a friction equilibrium problem?

A friction equilibrium problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the forces acting on an object in order to determine its state of equilibrium. This means that the object is not moving and the forces acting on it are balanced.

2. What are the key factors to consider in a friction equilibrium problem?

The key factors to consider in a friction equilibrium problem are the forces acting on the object, the direction and magnitude of these forces, and the coefficients of friction between the object and its surroundings.

3. How do you solve a friction equilibrium problem?

To solve a friction equilibrium problem, you must first draw a free body diagram to identify all the forces acting on the object. Then, you can use Newton's laws of motion and equations for friction to calculate the forces and determine the state of equilibrium.

4. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction in a friction equilibrium problem?

In a friction equilibrium problem, static friction refers to the force that keeps an object from moving when it is at rest, while kinetic friction refers to the force that opposes the motion of an object that is already moving. Both types of friction are taken into account when solving these types of problems.

5. What are some real-world applications of friction equilibrium problems?

Friction equilibrium problems have many real-world applications, such as calculating the forces acting on a car or airplane to keep it in motion, determining the maximum weight a bridge can support, and designing structures that can withstand different types of forces.