How Does Friction Factor Relate to Velocity in Fluid Dynamics?

In summary: This is proportional to the force being applied. In summary, the friction force on an object moving through a fluid is linear with velocity for laminar flow and goes as velocity squared for turbulent flow. This relationship can be explained by the increase in momentum transferred to the object per time unit as velocity increases, leading to a proportional increase in the applied force. This is seen in the Moody chart, where the friction factor is found to be proportional to the Reynolds number and therefore the velocity, resulting in the described behavior of losses in different flow regimes. The shape of the chart can be understood by the physical principles behind the increase in momentum and force with increasing velocity.
gmax137
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
There's a couple of recent threads on friction - rather than hijack those here's a new thread with a few questions I have.

What I'm trying to understand is the relationship between the friction force (on an object moving through a fluid) and the velocity of the object. A few places I see "friction force is linear with velocity for laminar flow and goes as velocity squared for turbulent flow." I'm trying to undestand this on a physical level.

I'm more familiar with fluid flow through pipes. In this case, the problems are usually solved by using a friction factor (f) multipied by velocity squared: f*(v^2)/2g. The factor f is found from the Moody chart, which shows f as a function of reynolds number. At low Re, f is proportional to 1/Re; at fully turbulent flow (high Re), f is constant. Since Re is proportional to v, this gives us the described behavior: when Re is low the losses go as v^2/v (ie, linear in v) and when Re is high the losses go as v^2.

OK, so now my questions: 1) why is the loss =f*v^2? and (2) why is the shape of f vs Re as shown on the Moody chart? I'm looking for the physics behind this. Anyone able to give me a clue?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
gmax137 said:
A few places I see "friction force is linear with velocity for laminar flow and goes as velocity squared for turbulent flow." I'm trying to undestand this on a physical level.
The velocity squared dependency can be explained as follows in simplified terms: If you double your velocity, you double the number of molecules that hit you per time unit. But the average collision velocity doubles as well. So the momentum transferred to you per time unit(force) is four times bigger.

I can provide some insights into the relationship between friction factor and velocity in fluid flow. First, it's important to understand that friction force is a result of the interaction between the fluid and the surface of the object moving through it. This interaction creates a shear stress, which is the force per unit area acting parallel to the surface.

In laminar flow, the fluid particles move in a smooth, orderly manner, with minimal mixing and disturbance. This results in a linear relationship between friction force and velocity, because the shear stress is proportional to the velocity gradient. As the velocity increases, the shear stress also increases proportionally, resulting in a linear increase in friction force.

In turbulent flow, on the other hand, the fluid particles move in a chaotic, irregular manner, with significant mixing and disturbance. This creates a turbulent boundary layer, where the velocity gradient is much steeper and the shear stress is much higher compared to laminar flow. As a result, the friction force is no longer proportional to the velocity gradient, but rather to the square of the velocity. This is because the shear stress is now a function of both the velocity gradient and the velocity itself.

The friction factor, as shown on the Moody chart, reflects the behavior of the fluid flow in different regimes. At low Reynolds numbers, the flow is laminar and the friction factor is inversely proportional to the Reynolds number. This is because laminar flow is dominated by viscous forces, and the friction force is directly related to the viscosity of the fluid. As the Reynolds number increases and the flow becomes more turbulent, the friction factor becomes relatively constant. This is because the turbulent flow is dominated by inertial forces, and the friction force is now related to the density and velocity of the fluid.

In summary, the relationship between friction force and velocity is a result of the different flow regimes and the dominant forces at play in each regime. The physics behind this lies in the interaction between the fluid and the surface, and how that interaction changes with changes in velocity and flow conditions. The Moody chart provides a visualization of this relationship and helps engineers and scientists understand and predict the behavior of fluid flow in different situations.

1. What is the friction factor and how is it related to velocity?

The friction factor is a dimensionless quantity that measures the resistance to flow in a fluid or gas. It is directly related to velocity because as velocity increases, the friction factor also increases due to the increased momentum and collisions between particles.

2. How is the friction factor calculated?

The friction factor can be calculated using various equations such as the Darcy-Weisbach equation, the Colebrook equation, or the Moody chart. These equations take into account factors such as the fluid properties, pipe roughness, and flow conditions to determine the friction factor.

3. What is the significance of the friction factor in fluid dynamics?

The friction factor is important in fluid dynamics because it affects the pressure drop, flow rate, and energy losses in a system. It is also used to determine the size and design of pipes and other components in fluid systems.

4. How does the friction factor vary with different types of fluids?

The friction factor can vary greatly depending on the type of fluid being used. For example, highly viscous fluids such as honey will have a higher friction factor compared to less viscous fluids like water. Additionally, the density and temperature of the fluid can also affect the friction factor.

5. How can the friction factor be reduced in a fluid system?

The friction factor can be reduced by using smoother pipes, increasing the pipe diameter, and reducing the flow rate. Additionally, using certain additives or lubricants can also help reduce the friction factor. However, it is important to consider the trade-offs and potential consequences of reducing the friction factor in a fluid system.