Friction Force Help: Solving Problem 1

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving a crate being dragged across a floor. The problem has two parts, a) and b), and the person is asking for help on how to solve part b). They have already found the solution for part a) using a formula they found online and have asked for help on part b) from their professor. Someone responds with a detailed explanation on how to solve both parts using equations and basic physics principles. The person asking for help acknowledges the explanation and thanks them.
adp5025
Hello everyone,

I have have no clue on how to go about this problem here, if someone can explain how to go about these it would be great! THANK YOU ALL!

Problem 1: :grumpy:

A 62 kg crate is dragged across a floor by pulling on a rope attached to the crate and inclined 15° above the horizontal.
(a) If the coefficient of static friction is 0.51, what minimum force magnitude is required from the rope to start the crate moving?
(b) If µk = 0.36, what is the magnitude of the initial acceleration of the crate?
m/s2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok so i found a) by using T = mg*u / cos x + sin x * u

yielding => 282.23 Newtons,

trying to find B) can anyone help?

EDIT: Just a little help to get me moving is good enough, PLEASE SOMEONE HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Last edited:
still no post ?

Last edited:
So no ones going to help me, thanks alot

I think your part (a) is wrong.

Where did you get this?

T = mg*u / cos x + sin x * u

No question a is correct i already put it in webassign, (a online physics homework thing for college). for b i just asked my professor, it was pretty simple. Using F = ma
F = Fnet while in motion

Thanks anyway dude :smile:

adp5025 said:
Ok so i found a) by using T = mg*u / cos x + sin x * u

yielding => 282.23 Newtons,

trying to find B) can anyone help?

EDIT: Just a little help to get me moving is good enough, PLEASE SOMEONE HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

It strikes me as somewhat odd that you found the answer to a), but can't get b). Can I assume the T equation was something from your book? (Otherwise I can't figure out how you got it!)

b) The object has a normal force (N) and a weight (w) in the vertical direction. I took the applied force (F) to be acting up and to the right, so the friction force (f) will be acting to the left. I choose a coordinate system with +x to the right and +y upward.

As is typical with a friction problem, you will need to do the net force in the y direction, so do that first:
[tex]\sum F_y=Fsin \theta +N-w=0[/tex]
So you can find N.
In the x direction we note that the box is presumed to be sliding, so we are using kinetic friction. [tex]f_k= \mu_kN[/tex] so we have:
[tex]\sum F_x=Fcos \theta-f_k=ma[/tex].

Plug in for kinetic friction and the normal force and solve for a.

To do a) you basically do the same thing. The difference is that we are looking at a stationary situation, so we use static friction. Since we are looking for the minimum force required, we are using maximum static friction and a=0 in the limit. This will allow you to derive the equation you used for part a).

-Dan

What is friction force?

Friction force is a force that opposes the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another object or surface. It is caused by the roughness of the surface and the interlocking of microscopic bumps and grooves between the two objects.

How is friction force calculated?

Friction force can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where F is the friction force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force, which is the perpendicular force exerted by the surface on the object.

What factors affect friction force?

The coefficient of friction, the normal force, and the roughness of the surface are the main factors that affect friction force. Other factors may include the type of material, the speed of the object, and the presence of lubricants.

How does friction force affect motion?

Friction force has a direct impact on the motion of an object. It slows down or stops the motion of the object by counteracting the force applied to it. This is why it is important to consider friction force when designing machines and vehicles.

How can friction force be reduced?

Friction force can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, to reduce the roughness between two surfaces. The use of smoother materials, increasing the surface area of contact, and reducing the normal force can also help to reduce friction force.