1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction force in rotating and translating objects?

1. May 2, 2009 #1
    I need a better understanding of how to think of or view the friction force vector in a rotating and translating object....

I know the friction force vector for a translating object is opposite the direction of travel. If the object, say a sphere, is also rotating around an axis that is perpendicular to the direction of translating motion then the friction force vector remains opposite the direction of travel. What if the axis of rotation is rotated in the horizontal plane, say 45 degrees, from the direction of travel. What is the direction of the friction force vector? Would there be a friction vector for the translational motion and one for the rotational motion so their vector sum would define the overall friction vector?

I would appreciate any comments on this matter. My background is in pure mathematics but I find myself as a physicist/engineer in training. Thanks...

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted