Calculating Friction Force on a Stationary Dancer on a Drawbridge

In summary: I was hoping you'd help me! Looking at the figure, that chap is standing erect and still, so certainly fs=0 looks like a good answer; however, there could be some leg muscle action that...err, I was hoping you'd help me! Looking at the figure, that chap is standing erect and still, so certainly fs=0 looks like a good answer; however, there could be some leg muscle action that could cause the bridge to move. So can you tell me what the dynamic friction force is?err, I was hoping you'd help me! Looking at the figure, that chap is standing erect and still, so certainly fs=0 looks like a good answer; however, there could
klm
A dancer is standing on one leg on a drawbridge that is about to open. The coefficients of static and kinetic friction between the drawbridge and the dancer's foot are mu_s and mu_k, respectively. n represents the normal force exerted on the dancer by the bridge, and Fg represents the gravitational force exerted on the dancer, as shown in the drawing For all the questions, we can assume that the bridge is a perfectly flat surface and lacks the curvature characteristic of most bridges.
Before the drawbridge starts to open, it is perfectly level with the ground. The dancer is standing still on one leg. What is the x component of the friction force, Ff?
Express your answer in terms of some or all of the variables n, mu_s, and/or mu_k.

i thought the answer should be -mu_s X N , but that is wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
klm said:
A dancer is standing on one leg on a drawbridge that is about to open. The coefficients of static and kinetic friction between the drawbridge and the dancer's foot are mu_s and mu_k, respectively. n represents the normal force exerted on the dancer by the bridge, and Fg represents the gravitational force exerted on the dancer, as shown in the drawing For all the questions, we can assume that the bridge is a perfectly flat surface and lacks the curvature characteristic of most bridges.

Before the drawbridge starts to open, it is perfectly level with the ground. The dancer is standing still on one leg. What is the x component of the friction force, Ff?

mhar8g.jpg

Express your answer in terms of some or all of the variables n, mu_s, and/or mu_k.

i thought the answer should be -mu_s X N , but that is wrong.
Have you tried applying Newton's laws in the horizontal direction?

yeah i have friction force pointing horizontally on the -x axis. so then i did Fnetx=-Fs=max=0 and Fnet y= n-w=0, so n=mg. but since the answer is suppose to be in terms of Us, Uk , or n. i thought -UsN

klm said:
yeah i have friction force pointing horizontally on the -x axis. so then i did Fnetx=-Fs=max=0 and Fnet y= n-w=0, so n=mg. but since the answer is suppose to be in terms of Us, Uk , or n. i thought -UsN
Yes, I also don't understand how you can express 0 as a function of any of those variables.

i don't mean that the variables are zero, i just mean that there is no net force. so -Fs=0 and n-w=0

klm said:
i don't mean that the variables are zero, i just mean that there is no net force. so -Fs=0 and n-w=0
So are you sayinfg F_f = 0?

actually yes i think that would be right b/c there is no Ff

klm said:
well no b/c i mean it has to have some magnitude...i don't really know?
Well maybe, but why not no magnitude at all?

yeah i think you are right, it shouldn't have a magnitude

klm said:
yeah i think you are right, it shouldn't have a magnitude

Well, maybe yes, and maybe no, I may have spoken too quickly. In general, what is the static friction force formula?

Fs=UsN
i think i understand, thank you

klm said:
Fs=UsN
i think i understand, thank you
No, that is close, but that is not the formula.

that is the formula that we learned

that is the formula that we learned fsmax=usn

klm said:
that is the formula that we learned fsmax=usn
Yes fsmax=usN. But fs in general is ?

i don't know

klm said:
i don't know
Well, you think in this problem that fs might be zero. And you already know that in this problem fs=usN is the wrong answer. So can you venture to guess what the formula for Fs is in general? (HINT: think in between).

do you mean like fs=ma ? so fs=0 ? i don't really understand what you are getting at sory

Last edited:
klm said:
do you mean like fs=ma ? or fs=0 ? i don't really understand what you are getting at sory
Oh OK, I guess you can look it up and you will find that the static friction force is less than or equal to usN. In other words, it can vary from 0 to usN. So back to the problem at hand, is the friction force 0, usN, or somewhere in between (or none of the above).

oh um okay. yes i know that it can vary, but thank you for clarifying what you mean. i understand how to do the problem now, so thank you very much for all your help.

klm said:
oh um okay. yes i know that it can vary, but thank you for clarifying what you mean. i understand how to do the problem now, so thank you very much for all your help.
err, I was hoping you'd help me! Looking at the figure, that chap is standing erect and still, so certainly fs=0 looks like a good answer; however, there could be some leg muscle action that would counteract the friction force and still cause no motion, so I guess that the correct answer is that fs is somewhere in between 0and usN. And if this is a webassign problem, chuck that minus sign.

ooh sorry! no i checked and the friction force is suppose to equal 0

Ff=0. This shows a very important point. When you are not told that an object is slipping or on the verge of slipping, then the friction force is determined using Newton's laws of motion in conjunction with the observed motion and the other forces on the object.

1. What is friction force?

Friction force is the resistance force that occurs when two surfaces come into contact and rub against each other. It acts in the opposite direction of the applied force and can affect the movement of objects.

2. How does friction force affect a dancer?

Friction force can either help or hinder a dancer's movement. It can provide grip and stability on the dance floor, but too much friction can also slow down or restrict a dancer's movements.

3. What factors can affect the friction force of a dancer?

The type of dance floor, the type of shoes worn, and the weight and speed of the dancer can all affect the friction force. Additionally, the texture and temperature of the floor can also play a role.

4. Can a dancer control the amount of friction force?

Yes, a dancer can control the amount of friction force by adjusting their movements, changing their shoes, or using a floor polish or powder to reduce or increase the friction.

5. How can understanding friction force benefit a dancer?

Understanding friction force can help a dancer make more precise and controlled movements on different types of floors. It can also help prevent injuries caused by slips or falls due to excessive or insufficient friction.