Finding Friction Coefficient to Stop Big Box: Explained

In summary: N is perpendicular to the box, or in other words, parallel to G, since the box simply rests on flat ground, but there is a force pushing on the box sideways, so I'm just wondering if that will have an effect on N? I'm thinking and hoping not...The force pushing on the box sideways has no effect on the normal reaction force of the surface on the block.
TSN79
Below is a problem I had on a test recently. The task is to find out what the friction coefficient must be in order to prevent the big box from moving. Friction between the little box and the slope is neglected.The red markings are my ideas. I figured if I sum the forces in the x-direction I'll find the friction force, which I can replace by uN, since F=uN. Will N be the same as G? If so, finding u is easy...but I think it's more complex than that, can someone explain?

Attachments

• friksjon.jpg
    friksjon.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 357
Physics news on Phys.org
I cannot see the image however, there is one thing the I always to when solving these type of problems: Resolve all forces so they are either parallel or perpendicular to the inclined plane. Then just sum the forces.

You say in your post;

Will N be the same as G?

The normal reaction force will only be equal to mg if the plane is horizontal. Otherwise you must resolve the forces to find N (which you should have done if you follow my advice above), the normal reaction force is always perpendicular to the surface.

Hope this helps.

~H

Last edited:
N is perpendicular to the box, or in other words, parallel to G, since the box simply rests on flat ground, but there is a force pushing on the box sideways, so I'm just wondering if that will have an effect on N? I'm thinking and hoping not...

TSN79 said:
N is perpendicular to the box, or in other words, parallel to G, since the box simply rests on flat ground, but there is a force pushing on the box sideways, so I'm just wondering if that will have an effect on N? I'm thinking and hoping not...

Then no, if the applied force is perpendicular to g, then it will have no effect on the normal reaction force of the surface on the block.

I'm afraid there's no mentors online at the moment that I can ask to approve your attachment.

~H

1. What is friction coefficient?

Friction coefficient is a measurement that represents the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is a dimensionless quantity and is typically denoted by the symbol "μ". It is used to calculate the force required to move one surface over the other.

2. Why is it important to find the friction coefficient for stopping a big box?

Finding the friction coefficient is crucial for determining the amount of force needed to stop a big box from sliding or moving. It helps in selecting the appropriate braking system and ensuring the safety of people and objects around the box.

3. How is the friction coefficient calculated?

The friction coefficient can be calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force between the two surfaces. The force of friction can be determined by measuring the force needed to overcome the resistance between the surfaces, while the normal force is the force exerted by the surface on the object due to gravity.

4. What factors can affect the friction coefficient?

The friction coefficient can be affected by various factors such as the type of materials in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, the temperature, and the presence of any lubricants. It can also vary depending on the applied force and the speed of movement between the surfaces.

5. How can the friction coefficient be used to improve efficiency?

By accurately determining the friction coefficient, engineers and designers can optimize the design of machines and equipment to reduce energy consumption and improve efficiency. They can also use this information to select the most suitable materials and lubricants to reduce friction and increase the lifespan of the components.