1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction free

1. Oct 6, 2006 #1
    If there are 3 blocks weighing 20 kgs each and placed next to each other on a frictionless floor, and I exert 10 N, all 3 blocks will still move right? Do all the boxes recieve a 10N push since there is no friction to reduce the force as it transfers? But do I only get pushed back 10N due to reaction force? Finally do the same concepts apply if the masses are 1million kgs? Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2006 #2
    yes, all three blocks will move. All three blocks will also recieve a 10 N force. You will also recieve a 10 N reaction force. Yes, the same concepts apply to 1 million kg masses...the boxes will just have lower acceleration.
  4. Oct 6, 2006 #3
    Alright, thanks. Quick response, I have my test tomorrow too. I got the concepts now. Good luck to me.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?