1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction help

1. Jan 12, 2008 #1
    This is my first time here, so if I put this in the wrong place I am sorry. I will place the entire problem here, exactly as it appears.

The most massive car ever built was the official car of the General Secritary of the Communist Party in the former Soviet Union. Suppose this car is moving down a 10.0 degree slope when the driver suddenly applies the brakes. The net force acting on the car as it stops is -2.00 X 10^4 N. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the car's tires and the pavement is 0.797, what is the car's mass? What is themagnitude of the normal force that the pavement exerts on the car?

I have no clue as to what equations to use. Sorry.

I made a free-body diagram, but I think I messed it up.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2008 #2

hage567

Homework Helper

Can you explain all of the forces that are present on your diagram? What's Newton's second law?

4. Jan 12, 2008 #3
    Just asking someone who knows, couldn't you find the mass by doing F/g = mass?

5. Jan 12, 2008 #4
    You could. Thank you SO much for that comment. Apparently, I'm brain-dead, lol.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?