1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction help

1. Apr 7, 2008 #1
    Two blocks (m1 = 2.500 kg and m2 = 3.100 kg) slide down a rough 30.0 degree incline.
    µ1 = .2300 for the lighter block
    µ2 = .5100 for the heavier block
    a) Determine the acceleration of the pair.

b) Calculate the force the lighter block exerts on the heavier one.

there is a picture as an attachment (couldn't figure out how to just put it on).

i think i have found the acceleration of the objects i got 1.6336 meter per second squared but i don't know how to find the force on the second object.

I took the sum of the forces which included (m1)(gravity)(sin30)-friction on that object + (m2)(gravity)(sin30)- friction of that object) all over (m1 + m2). to get 1.6886

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2008 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

what work have you done so far? We can help put you in the right direction, but we won't do all of your work for you

4. Apr 7, 2008 #3
    i think i have found the acceleration of the objects i got 1.6336 meter per second squared but i don't know how to find the force on the second object.

I took the sum of the forces which included (m1)(gravity)(sin30)-friction on that object + (m2)(gravity)(sin30)- friction of that object) all over (m1 + m2). to get 1.6886

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?