1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction homework

1. Jun 28, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: friction.png In the diagram,the coefficient of friction between the bigger block and the smaller block is μ1 and the coefficient of friction between the bigger block and the ground is μ2. Calculate the acceleration of the bigger block.(As seen in the diagram,M is the mass of the bigger block while m is the mass of the smaller block.

2. Relevant equations: F = ma

3. The attempt at a solution: I have absolutely no idea about the question,so I need help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2014 #2

adjacent

Gold Member

Can you make a bigger diagram? It's very difficult to look at it

4. Jun 28, 2014 #3
    Just right-click on the diagram and select "Open in new tab". That'll do the trick.

5. Jun 28, 2014 #4

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Usually, the first thing to do in such cases, is to draw all the forces involved. Can you do that?

6. Jun 28, 2014 #5
    Yeah,I know how to draw a FBD.

7. Jun 28, 2014 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Better get started then ;)
    Just be careful, there are several forces in this problem that I would think are very easy to forget about ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted