What is the primary cause of rolling resistance?

In summary, friction during rolling is caused by static friction, which is due to surface roughness and electromagnetic attraction between molecules. The opposition to rolling is known as rolling resistance, which is caused by hysteresis.
kamaljeet_pec
In solids there are crests and troughs. In highly polished surfaces there are molecular forces. But what creates friction during rolling where there is only line contact (in case of cylinder) or point contact (inn case of a ring)?

I read somewhere that when an object is rolling it forms a hump in front of it on the surface on which it is rolling. Thats what opposes it and hence is a cause of friction. I don't really buy that.

Please help me understand.

Physics news on Phys.org
When an object is rolling and not slipping, the point of contact is static, therefore the friction is static friction. It is the same thing that keeps a block of wood from sliding down a rubber ramp. Static friction is due to surface roughness as well as an electromagnetic attraction of the molecules in both surfaces when close together because of slight induced charge dipoles (the Van der Waals force). Geckos can stick to sheer vertical surfaces because their fingers have pads that optimize the Van der Waals force.

kamaljeet_pec said:
I read somewhere that when an object is rolling it forms a hump in front of it on the surface on which it is rolling. Thats what opposes it and hence is a cause of friction. I don't really buy that.
The opposition to rolling is called rolling resistance. From a wiki article:

The primary cause of rolling resistance is hysteresis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_resistance

1. What is friction in rolling bodies?

Friction in rolling bodies is a force that opposes the motion of a rolling object. It occurs when two surfaces are in contact and one surface is moving relative to the other surface.

2. How does friction affect the motion of rolling bodies?

Friction in rolling bodies can slow down or prevent the motion of a rolling object. It can also cause the object to change direction or rotate.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction in rolling bodies?

The amount of friction in rolling bodies is affected by the materials and surfaces involved, the weight of the object, and the speed at which it is rolling.

4. How can friction in rolling bodies be reduced?

Friction in rolling bodies can be reduced by using smoother and more slippery materials, reducing the weight of the object, and lubricating the surfaces.

5. What are some real-life examples of friction in rolling bodies?

Some examples of friction in rolling bodies include the movement of a car's wheels on the road, the rolling of a ball on a surface, and the rotation of a wheel on an axle.