What are the Forces Acting on a Block Pushed Against a Wall with Friction?

• Thread starter AtlBraves
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the problem involves a block being pushed by a 12 N horizontal force against a vertical wall with a coefficient of static friction of 0.65 and a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.45. The task is to find the forces acting on the block and their components. These forces include weight force, friction, and the applied force on the x-axis, and friction and the normal force on the y-axis.
AtlBraves
This problem is giving me trouble. The x-component is -12i, but I don't know how to find the y-component. Can anyone tell me what the forces acting on the block are?

A 12 N horizontal force F pushes a block weighing 6.0 N against a vertical wall (Figure 6-25). The coefficient of static friction between the wall and the block is 0.65, and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.45. Assume that the block is not moving initially.

06_24.gif

(b) In unit-vector notation, what is the force exerted on the block by the wall?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if this were a block in a horizontal plane how would you indicate the force of friction relative to motion? Also if this were a block just sitting on a horizontal plane what forces would be acting and in which directions?

To be honest, I don't know. I can barely understand my professor because of his accent, and my book is useless because it is written in a very complex manner with examples that don't have anything to do with the problems given. I have no idea how to do over half of the problems on the homework assignment and I am dreading the next exam.

Ask yourself, does the block has mass? Yes so there's weight force, The wall is being pushed against has friction with the block?? yes, so the there's friction pointing against movement. Those are your forces on the y-axis.

Now you found what were the forces on the x-axis because the force applied to the block is horizontal. Consider for the Wall force a vector in its components.

Last edited:

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the relative motion between two surfaces in contact.

2. Why does friction cause trouble?

Friction can cause trouble because it can make it difficult to move objects or slow them down, which can be frustrating and inefficient.

3. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces, or by using smoother surfaces.

4. What are the different types of friction?

The three types of friction are static friction, which prevents an object from moving when a force is applied; sliding friction, which occurs when two surfaces slide against each other; and rolling friction, which occurs when an object rolls over a surface.

5. How is friction important in everyday life?

Friction is important in everyday life because it allows us to walk without slipping, drive cars, and hold onto objects. It also helps us control the speed of our movements and prevents objects from sliding off surfaces.