Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction less Banked curve

1. Jun 1, 2007 #1
    Hey I am doing a assignment on Roller coaster physics and i am to design a Roller coaster taking all the aspects of physics.

I am stuck at my banked curve i dont know what formula to use to find the angle of the curve.
    I have seen this formula in the forums
    Tan theta=v^2/rg

but the thing is i dont know how that formula was derived so i cant useit in my assigment unless i know how it was made.

So if someone know how to make that formula or another forumula i can use please could you post it. Thanks

ahh ya and i for got to say that you can ignore friction.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2007 #2

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Newme. I can't help you with any math stuff; I'm more of a 'hands on' guy. (No one would get on my rides in Rollercoaster Tycoon. :frown:)
    You are definitely in the right place to get the answers, though. Just hang tight and the experts will show up like rock bass on a dead minnow.
  4. Jun 1, 2007 #3
    Well here is a neat link on the forces at work on a banked curve:http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mechanics/carbank.html
    But it does include friction but it will at least give you a really good idea as to what exactly is at play here.
    Hope it helps.
  5. Jun 1, 2007 #4

Thanks for that!!
    Ok so know with this formula
    Velocity max=sqaure root (rg tan theta)
    can be rearanged to tan theta=v^2/rg
    thanks for the help on that
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?