1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction-less speed physics problem

1. Dec 16, 2004 #1
    i have a question about this problem:

a frictionless curve of radius 100 meters, banked at an angle of 45 degrees may be safely negotiated at a speed of?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

FRICTIONLESS? Ouch! Calculate the accelaration vector of an object moving around the curve at speed "v". For what speed is this vector at 45 degrees to the vertical?

4. Dec 16, 2004 #3
    how would i do that?

5. Dec 16, 2004 #4
    also, theres another question i have..

the tiny planet mercury has a radius of 2400 kilometers and a mass of 2.2 x 10^23 kilograms. what would be the gravitational acceleration of an astronaut standing on the surface of mercury?

can someone help me take this step by step..i have no clue how to do this

6. Dec 19, 2004 #5
    Since the astrinaut is standing on the surface, the acceleration is zero!!!! :biggrin:

But if you meant the acceleration due to gravity,g, at the surface, there is a simple formula

Loads of gravitation formula are available on the thread 'Formulas'
    started by truimphdog1 on 7 or 8 or 9 December (whichever date according to your time zone)

The formula required for this question is available there

try searching and tell me if you get it!

7. Dec 19, 2004 #6

$id

The formula for the centripetal acceleration is v^2/R incase you didn't know

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?