1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction-less wedge physics problem

1. Sep 26, 2004 #1
    A 2.0-kg body rests on a frictionless wedge that has an inclination of 65.0° and an acceleration a to the right such that the mass remains stationary relative to the wedge. Find a

This is one of the question i had to do for HW.
    Not really asking for an answer but it would be great if you provide one with a semi detail equation

I just don't get how is a body at rest yet accelerating!! I probably misinterpret the question and I hope someone will point out where I misunderstood. Thank You
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2004 #2
    What they mean is that the wedge with the mass on it is being acclerated (along the floor, for example) in a way that the mass does not slide down the wedge as it would if it were stationary. Try using some basic principles. Very interesting problem.
  4. Sep 26, 2004 #3
    Thx for pointing out my misinterpertation ^_^. Now, the question made more sense.

Ok, I tried doing the question but I got the wrong answer :mad: and this is what I did:

I thought maybe mass doesn't matter in this situation cuz all object has the same accelartion due to gravity
    so i just went acelaration to the right = 9.8 x sin 65 x sin 25

The sin 65 was to find the accelartion for the body sliding down the incline
    this accleration is parallel to the incline

Then i did a bit of geometry to figure out that sin 25 will give me "a" to the right.

so, was i wrong about ignoring the mass or what?
  5. Sep 26, 2004 #4

Homework Helper

6. Sep 27, 2004 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I'm afraid so. :smile:
    In any problem concerning acceleration or force, you'd better consider the mass.

Think this way. There are two forces acting on the body: (1) the normal force from the wedge, and (2) the weight. Hint: in the vertical direction, the body does not accelerate; in the horizontal direction, it does. Apply [itex]\vec{F_{net}} = m \vec{a}[/itex].
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?