Friction-less wedge physics problem

In summary: The body experiences a force equal to the weight (9.8 N) applied at an angle of 65.0° to the horizontal (relative to the body) and an acceleration of 9.8 m/s2.
holyko
A 2.0-kg body rests on a frictionless wedge that has an inclination of 65.0° and an acceleration a to the right such that the mass remains stationary relative to the wedge. Find a

This is one of the question i had to do for HW.
Not really asking for an answer but it would be great if you provide one with a semi detail equation

I just don't get how is a body at rest yet accelerating! I probably misinterpret the question and I hope someone will point out where I misunderstood. Thank You

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What they mean is that the wedge with the mass on it is being acclerated (along the floor, for example) in a way that the mass does not slide down the wedge as it would if it were stationary. Try using some basic principles. Very interesting problem.

Thx for pointing out my misinterpertation ^_^. Now, the question made more sense.

Ok, I tried doing the question but I got the wrong answer :mad: and this is what I did:

I thought maybe mass doesn't matter in this situation because all object has the same accelartion due to gravity
so i just went acelaration to the right = 9.8 x sin 65 x sin 25

The sin 65 was to find the accelartion for the body sliding down the incline
this accleration is parallel to the incline

Then i did a bit of geometry to figure out that sin 25 will give me "a" to the right.

so, was i wrong about ignoring the mass or what?

holyko said:
so, was i wrong about ignoring the mass or what?
I'm afraid so. :smile:
In any problem concerning acceleration or force, you'd better consider the mass.

Think this way. There are two forces acting on the body: (1) the normal force from the wedge, and (2) the weight. Hint: in the vertical direction, the body does not accelerate; in the horizontal direction, it does. Apply [itex]\vec{F_{net}} = m \vec{a}[/itex].

1. What is a friction-less wedge physics problem?

A friction-less wedge physics problem is a type of physics problem where a wedge is placed on a friction-less surface and an object is placed on top of the wedge. The problem involves calculating the forces and motion of the object on the wedge.

2. How do you solve a friction-less wedge physics problem?

To solve a friction-less wedge physics problem, you need to draw a free body diagram of the wedge and the object on top of it. Then, analyze the forces acting on the object and use Newton's Laws of Motion to calculate the acceleration and motion of the object.

3. What are the key principles involved in a friction-less wedge physics problem?

The key principles involved in a friction-less wedge physics problem are Newton's Laws of Motion, specifically the first and second laws. The first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue in motion with constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

4. How does friction affect a friction-less wedge physics problem?

In a friction-less wedge physics problem, friction does not play a role because the surface is assumed to be completely friction-less. This simplifies the problem and allows for easier calculations of the forces and motion.

5. What real-life applications use friction-less wedge physics problems?

Friction-less wedge physics problems have many real-life applications, such as studying the motion of objects on a ramp or incline, analyzing the forces and motion of objects on a rollercoaster, and understanding the mechanics of a sliding board or snowboard. They are also used in the design and engineering of machines, such as conveyor belts, escalators, and ramps for loading and unloading heavy objects.