Friction of ball on the impact

In summary, there are multiple ways to simulate friction in a ball physics simulation. One method is to use a coefficient of friction, while another is to use a physics engine like Box2D. For more realistic results, a fluid dynamics simulator like Realflow can also be used. Whichever method is chosen, it is important to ensure that it produces the desired results.
deluksic
Im making a simulation of ball physics... As the title says i have a problem with friction.

So i have a ball with radius, mass, speed... And the ball hits a wall with some speed on an angle.

i calculate horizontal and vertical speed in relation to wall with sin and cos...(i need actuall friction not F=m*g*k not like that that is just the maximal friction)

then i get stuck. I did it somehow but something isn't right... u can check simulation here:
https://sites.google.com/site/deluksicgames/contact-us (the third download)

i thought like this: when a ball hits a wall, it has some vertical force on a wall so i calculate it like this: Fy = Vertical speed * mass (time is one step so i don't need it), then i calculate max fric. Fmax = Vspeed * mass * k, and then i calculate actuall friction with some weird equation and it looks good but i need real equations for this. hope u understand me

Physics news on Phys.org
and can help me.Thank you!</code>There isn't a single answer to your question, as there are many ways to simulate friction. One way you can do it is by using a coefficient of friction, which is a number that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces. This number can be determined experimentally or calculated from the materials involved. Once you have this number, you can then calculate the amount of force you need to apply to the ball to slow it down or stop it completely. You can also adjust the coefficient of friction to simulate different types of surfaces.Another approach is to use a physics engine like Box2D, which has built-in support for simulating friction. With this engine, you can set the values of properties like restitution (the bounciness of the surface) and friction (the amount of resistance it offers) for each material, and the engine will calculate how the objects interact with each other accordingly.Finally, if you're looking for a more realistic simulation, you can try using a fluid dynamics simulator like Realflow. This type of simulator can give you more accurate results than either of the above approaches, as it takes into account things like viscosity and surface tension.Whichever approach you choose, the important thing is to make sure it produces the results you need. Good luck!

1. What is friction?

Friction is the force that resists motion between two surfaces in contact with each other.

2. How does friction affect the impact of a ball?

Friction can either decrease or increase the impact of a ball depending on the surface it is rolling or bouncing on. For example, a rough surface will create more friction and decrease the impact, while a smooth surface will create less friction and increase the impact.

3. What factors affect the friction of a ball on impact?

The factors that affect the friction of a ball on impact include the surface texture, the mass and velocity of the ball, and the angle at which the ball hits the surface.

4. How is the coefficient of friction related to the impact of a ball?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of how much friction exists between two surfaces. A higher coefficient of friction means there is more friction, which can decrease the impact of a ball. On the other hand, a lower coefficient of friction means there is less friction, which can increase the impact of a ball.

5. Can friction be beneficial in the impact of a ball?

Yes, friction can be beneficial in certain situations. For example, in sports like basketball or tennis, a certain amount of friction is needed to control the movement of the ball and make accurate shots. Additionally, friction can also help to slow down the ball and prevent it from bouncing too far, making it easier to catch or control.