Friction of conveyor belt on suitcase

In summary, the problem involves a baggage handler dropping a 10 kg suitcase onto a conveyer belt running at 2 m/s. The coefficients of static and kinetic friction are given as us=0.5 and uk=0.3, respectively. Using the Work-energy equation, the distance the suitcase is dragged before it starts moving smoothly with the belt can be found by setting the kinetic energy of the suitcase equal to the total frictional force multiplied by the distance traveled. The kinetic energy of the belt is not taken into consideration as it is assumed to be an infinite source of energy.
habibclan

Homework Statement

A baggage handler drops your 10 kg suitcase onto a conveyer belt running at 2 m/s. The materials are such that us= 0.5 and uk=0.3 [coefficients of static and kinetic friction]. How far is your suitcase dragged before it is riding smoothly on the belt?

Homework Equations

fs= usmg
fk= ukmg

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to set up the problem because I don't know how to define the force applied by the baggage handler. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance! =)

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a picture and identify the friction force then use an energy balance to find the traveled distance.

[tex] \frac{1}{2}mv^2 = \mu_{total}mg \Delta x [/tex]

Last edited:
I really have no idea. I was able to do all the other questions in this chapter, just not this one. I would say that the friction is in the direction of the motion of the conveyer belt because due to friction, the luggage is able to stick to the conveyer belt. Can you please guide me as to how to set up the problem!

dirk_mec1 said:
Draw a picture and identify the friction force then use an energy balance to find the traveled distance.

[tex] \frac{1}{2}mv^2 = \mu_{total}mg \Delta x [/tex]

How did you get the friction equation with delta x in it? I've never seen that before.

habibclan said:
How did you get the friction equation with delta x in it? I've never seen that before.

Yes you have it's just:

[tex] E_{kinetic} = F \cdot \Delta s [/tex]

with s the distance

dirk_mec1 said:
Yes you have it's just:

[tex] E_{kinetic} = F \cdot \Delta s [/tex]

with s the distance

Oh okay! This is the work equation. Thanks a lot =). But logically, what happens? When the guy puts the suitcase onto the belt, from this equation, it means that the kinetic energy of the belt is converted into energy for friction?

habibclan said:
Oh okay! This is the work equation. Thanks a lot =). But logically, what happens? When the guy puts the suitcase onto the belt, from this equation, it means that the kinetic energy of the belt is converted into energy for friction?
No the guys drops the suitcase that's something else then putting it on the belt.

Imagine yourself a suitcase dropping on a conveyer belt the suitcase 'slides' a distance and then just moves with the belt, get the picture?

dirk_mec1 said:
No the guys drops the suitcase that's something else then putting it on the belt.

Imagine yourself a suitcase dropping on a conveyer belt the suitcase 'slides' a distance and then just moves with the belt, get the picture?

That I get. But I feel so stupid coz I can't understand how Efric=Kinetic energy. Is it that the kinetic energy of the belt converts itself into friction energy to hang onto the luggage? Sorry for bugging you so much :$.

habibclan said:
That I get. But I feel so stupid coz I can't understand how Efric=Kinetic energy. Is it that the kinetic energy of the belt converts itself into friction energy to hang onto the luggage?

Hi habibclan! :smile:

Think of the belt as an infinite source of energy …

… rather like the Earth is an "infinite" source of mass … when you bounce a ball off a wall, you tend to assume that the wall is fixed to the Earth and the Earth doesn't move! :smile:

The belt will go on moving at the same speed no matter how kmany cases are put on it … the speed is determined by (a) the engine running it, and (b) the person who wrote the question.

Forget the KE of the belt.

When you do FBDs, you do them for only one body at a time.

(You could do an FBD for the belt, but you'd have to pult the belt motor into it, and you've no idea what that's doing! :rolleyes: )

In this case do an FBD, or conservation equation, or work-energy equation, for the luggage only.

You know it starts with zero horizontal velocity, and there's only one horizontal force on it, which is constant until it reaches the velocity of the belt.

You can either do a Newton's second law equation … which has the disadvantage of giving you a differential equation to solve :redface: , or, preferably in this case, use the Work-energy equation that dirk_mec1 suggested, which tells you that the KE of the luggage increases because of the work done on it by the friction force. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi habibclan! :smile:

Think of the belt as an infinite source of energy …

… rather like the Earth is an "infinite" source of mass … when you bounce a ball off a wall, you tend to assume that the wall is fixed to the Earth and the Earth doesn't move! :smile:

The belt will go on moving at the same speed no matter how kmany cases are put on it … the speed is determined by (a) the engine running it, and (b) the person who wrote the question.

Forget the KE of the belt.

When you do FBDs, you do them for only one body at a time.

(You could do an FBD for the belt, but you'd have to pult the belt motor into it, and you've no idea what that's doing! :rolleyes: )

In this case do an FBD, or conservation equation, or work-energy equation, for the luggage only.

You know it starts with zero horizontal velocity, and there's only one horizontal force on it, which is constant until it reaches the velocity of the belt.

You can either do a Newton's second law equation … which has the disadvantage of giving you a differential equation to solve :redface: , or, preferably in this case, use the Work-energy equation that dirk_mec1 suggested, which tells you that the KE of the luggage increases because of the work done on it by the friction force. :smile:

I get it now! THanks so much! So basically this is one of the rare cases where thermal energy is converted into kinetic energy. I was reading my textbook today and it said that usually its KE--> thermal, but I guess this is an exception to that case!

habibclan said:
So basically this is one of the rare cases where thermal energy is converted into kinetic energy. I was reading my textbook today and it said that usually its KE--> thermal, but I guess this is an exception to that case!

No no no … the energy comes from the motor which drives the belt.

Some of that energy moves the luggage, and some is converted into thermal energy.

Friction is not thermal … the useful work done by friction is converted into KE … the wasted work becomes thermal energy. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
No no no … the energy comes from the motor which drives the belt.

Some of that energy moves the luggage, and some is converted into thermal energy.

Friction is not thermal … the useful work done by friction is converted into KE … the wasted work becomes thermal energy. :smile:

Thanks a lot!

1. How does friction affect the movement of a conveyor belt on a suitcase?

Friction is the resistance force that opposes the motion of two surfaces in contact. In the case of a conveyor belt on a suitcase, friction plays a crucial role in determining the speed and efficiency of the movement. The higher the friction between the belt and the suitcase, the more force is required to move the suitcase, resulting in slower movement.

2. What factors contribute to the friction between the conveyor belt and suitcase?

There are several factors that can affect the friction between the conveyor belt and suitcase, including the material and texture of the belt and suitcase, the weight of the suitcase, and the surface area of contact between the two objects. Additionally, the presence of any lubricants or debris can also impact the friction.

3. How can you reduce the friction between the conveyor belt and suitcase?

There are a few ways to reduce the friction between the conveyor belt and suitcase. One way is to use a lubricant, such as oil or silicone spray, to create a thin layer between the two surfaces. Another option is to increase the surface area of contact by adding texture or grip to the belt or suitcase. Additionally, reducing the weight of the suitcase can also help reduce the friction.

4. Can friction between the conveyor belt and suitcase be beneficial in any way?

Yes, friction can be beneficial in certain situations. For example, a higher friction between the belt and suitcase can prevent the suitcase from slipping off the belt, ensuring its safe movement. In some cases, friction can also be necessary for the proper functioning of the conveyor belt, such as in incline or decline conveyor systems.

5. How can the friction of a conveyor belt on a suitcase be measured?

The friction between the conveyor belt and suitcase can be measured using a device called a tribometer. This instrument measures the force required to move the suitcase on the belt, taking into account the weight of the suitcase and the angle of the conveyor belt. Other methods, such as calculating the coefficient of friction, can also be used to determine the friction between the two surfaces.