Calculating Distance Traveled on an Incline with Friction

In summary, a 0.64 kg bundle with 61.7 J of kinetic energy starts up a 10.08° incline. The coefficient of friction is 0.373. By calculating the work done by the frictional force and the force of gravity, it can be determined that the initial velocity is 13.885 m/s and the acceleration is 7.346 m/s^2. By using the equation for displacement on an incline, the distance traveled up the incline can be calculated to be approximately 13.12 meters. However, taking into account the angle of the incline and using work-energy, the correct answer is obtained as 18.5 meters.
ViewtifulBeau
A 0.64 kg bundle starts up a 10.08° incline with 61.7 J of kinetic energy. How far will it slide up the plane if the coefficient of friction is 0.373?

I found the frictional force and the force of gravity working against the bundle by f = N*u and F = ma to be 3.6026 and 1.09886. I added those two together and divided the Work (61.7 J) by the sum to get 13.12 by W=F*D. but 13.12 m is not right. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The key to this one is that the 61.7 J of kinetic energy is just another way of stating what the initial velocity is. What's the relationship between velocity and kinetic energy?
Suggest you look at the 3rd item in the following link. It contains a sample incline plane problem (file Motion3b.pdf) using a simple methodology for solving it.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=780118#post780118

EDIT: Since this is now an archive, can't post. I got the same answer as you for the initial velocity and between 18.0and 18.5m for the distance traveled. Here was the methodology I used (as described in the link):
- draw FBD and label the forces (component of mg in -x, friction force in -x)
- choose coordinate system with +x up the incline
- write F=ma in the x direction
- integrate once to get v(t) noting that v0 = velocity calculated from kinetic energy
- integrate agian to get x(t) noting that x0 = 0
- use v(t) to find t when the block stops (hint v = 0)
- use the t just calculated in the equation for x to find out how far it traveled

Last edited:
so i converted the KE to velocity and got 13.885 m/s then i found the acceleration by adding the f and F(gravity) then i used V^2 = 2a(change in x).
so 13.885^2/(2*7.346) and i got ...13.12 again!

Now I see what you are using (work-energy). You need to account for the angle of the incline. Using work-energy and accounting for the incline, I was able to obtain the same answer as my previous post.

Last edited:
try resolving force into components...

1. What is friction on an incline?

Friction on an incline refers to the force that opposes the motion of an object on an inclined surface due to the contact between the object and the surface.

2. How does the angle of the incline affect friction?

The steeper the incline, the greater the force of friction acting on the object. This is because the component of the weight of the object that is parallel to the incline increases as the angle of the incline increases, leading to a greater frictional force.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction on an incline?

The amount of friction on an incline is affected by the weight of the object, the type of surface it is moving on, and the angle of the incline. Other factors such as the roughness of the surface and the presence of lubricants can also affect friction.

4. How can friction on an incline be minimized?

Friction on an incline can be minimized by using a smoother surface or applying a lubricant to reduce the contact between the object and the surface. Additionally, reducing the angle of the incline can also decrease the amount of friction.

5. How is friction on an incline calculated?

The force of friction on an incline can be calculated using the formula F = μmgcosθ, where μ is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the incline. This equation takes into account the weight of the object and the angle of the incline in determining the force of friction.