1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction on an inclined plane

1. Oct 23, 2009 #1
    I am having problems with a simple problem with a mass (m) stationary on an inclined plane of angle θ.

I have obtained the equations for the reaction/normal force and the force acting on the mass parallel to the plane:

Reaction force / normal force (R) = mgcosθ
    Parallel force = mgsinθ

Also, I know that the static friction force is given by Friction force = (mu static) x R.

My question is this:

For the mass to be stationary, obviously the parallel force must equal the static friction force in magnitude. But if the angle, θ of the inclined slope is increased, logically both forces must also increase in magnitude by the same amount to keep equilibrium.

Since mu static is a constant, this means that as the parallel force increases with θ, R must increase in the (mu static x R) equation to provide a frictional force of equal magnitude to the parallel force. But R, and hence the frictional force, do not increase with θ as the cosine in the reaction force equation decreases with an increase in θ between 0 and 90 degrees, also decreasing the frictional force.

So how can there be equilibrium (which there obviously is!)?

As far as I can see, since the two forces involve sine or cosine, they cannot both increase at the same time between 0 and 90 degrees.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Paul

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2009 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

The correct equation is [tex]F \leq \mu_s R[/tex]. The static friction force is whatever force is required for the object to not move up to a maximum given by [tex]\mu_s R[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook