Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction on inclined plane

1. Jul 16, 2011 #1
    can i say normal force acting on the object perpendicular to the surface is the frictional force??
    because if the normal force is great enough, the object will not slide down....so, can i say frictional force is normal force?

help me....thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2011 #2

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Friction force would be opposing gravity, in the direction of the inclined plane's surface. The normal force perpendicular to the plane times the coefficient of static friction determines the maximum frictional force before sliding occurs.

4. Jul 17, 2011 #3
    no, you cannot say that the normal force is the frictional force...typically, the frictional force is , say, a percentage of such force's magnitude...

for example, if a surface has a 0.5 friction coefficient, then the frictional force is 0.5xnormal_force

then again, if you are on a surface with zero friction coefficient, the normal force is still there, but there is no friction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook