Friction Paradox: Unlocking the Mystery of Constant Speed Motion

The energy is not "supplied" by you, but by the chemical energy in your body.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of friction paradox and how changing the frame of reference can affect the need for supplying energy to keep an object moving at a constant speed. It is noted that while the external force may seem balanced by friction in one frame of reference, in another frame of reference there is still energy being expended to maintain the motion.
VVS2000
I was reading this book on mechanics by derek raine and came up on something called friction paraddox.
Suppose a block is is moving with constant speed and the external force is balanced by friction. We know friction causes heat dissipation and the external force supplies some energy so as to keep the speed constant.suppose I run along with the block at same speed and with respect to me, block is in rest and there is no heat dissipation. So how come I have beem able to remove the need for supplying energy just by changing my frame of reference? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
VVS2000 said:
So how come I have beem able to remove the need for supplying energy just by changing my frame of reference?
You haven't. In your frame of reference you are expending energy to move the floor under you.

Likes VVS2000

1. What is the friction paradox?

The friction paradox is a phenomenon in which an object moving at a constant speed experiences a continuous force of friction, yet does not slow down or speed up. This contradicts the common understanding that friction always opposes motion and causes objects to slow down.

2. How is the friction paradox explained?

The friction paradox can be explained by understanding that there are two types of friction: static and kinetic. Static friction occurs when an object is at rest, and kinetic friction occurs when an object is in motion. In the case of constant speed motion, the force of kinetic friction is balanced by an equal and opposite force, such as a pushing or pulling force, resulting in no change in speed.

3. What are the implications of the friction paradox?

The friction paradox has significant implications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and transportation. It challenges our understanding of friction and forces us to reconsider how we design and build objects to achieve constant speed motion.

4. How can the friction paradox be applied in real-world situations?

The friction paradox can be applied in real-world situations by understanding and manipulating the forces involved. For example, engineers can use the friction paradox to design vehicles with minimal drag and friction, resulting in more efficient and faster transportation.

5. Are there any unresolved questions about the friction paradox?

While there are many theories and explanations for the friction paradox, there are still some unresolved questions, such as why some objects experience less friction than others and how to minimize friction in certain scenarios. Further research and experimentation are needed to fully understand this phenomenon.