1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction Problem. Help !

1. Jun 11, 2007 #1
    Friction Problem. Help!!!!!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the absence of friction, we know v = (2gd)^(1/2). But with a correction factor that accounts for friction what would be the modified farmula?

d=distance of box from the spring platform.
    g=acceleration due to gravity

3. The attempt at a solution
    Basically i am observing a box jumping or oscallating on the spring platform.
    This equation is derived from Work Energy Theorem

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2007 #2

Mentz114

Gold Member

The description of the problem is inadequate.

4. Jun 12, 2007 #3

andrevdh

Homework Helper

I assume you are talking about air friction reducing the energy of the box while it is airborn and therefore the maximum speed with which it hits the spring platform?

5. Jun 12, 2007 #4

Mentz114

Gold Member

Hi. No I don't understand where the box is in relation to the spring platform. Is something dropping onto something else ? You haven't described the problem at all ! You start by quoting a formula.

6. Jun 12, 2007 #5

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Sorry, I was addressing bilalbajwa. Since he talks about oscillations I guess that the box is jogged up and down by the spring platform - sort of like someone on a jumping board over a pool.

7. Jun 12, 2007 #6
    I am talking about the air friction.

8. Jun 12, 2007 #7

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Do the box stay on the platform or is it shot up and drops down onto it again (repeatedly)?

9. Jun 12, 2007 #8
    Hi,
    Thanks for replying.
    As i said box is oscillating up and down. And its this jumping comes to a complete rest after some time.

10. Jun 13, 2007 #9

andrevdh

Homework Helper

I am getting the idea that what you are looking for is the theory describing the "Damped Harmonic Oscillator"

Click on Mechanics on this page:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

then on Periodic motion on the framed diagram

and finally on Damped motion

to get to a mathematical description of the the theory of the Damped Harmonic Oscillator. You can find more information if you scroll down on the page that you land on finally.

Feel free to aks more questions here concerning the theory you find there.

Why are you interested in this motion?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?