Friction problem, getting started

• Thread starter maniacp08
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the problem involves two blocks of different masses attached by a string sliding down an incline with a given angle and coefficient of friction. The task is to find the acceleration of the blocks and the tension in the string. To solve this, one can start by writing the sum of forces acting on each block and applying Newton's II law. By eliminating the acceleration from the equations, one can solve for the tension. It is also important to check the answer by plugging it back into the equations.
maniacp08
1.Here is the diagram of the problem.
337157252.jpg

Two blocks attached by a string (see figure) slide down a 16° incline. Block 1 has mass m1 = 0.79 kg and block 2 has mass m2 = 0.27 kg. In addition, the kinetic coefficients of friction between the blocks and the incline are 0.30 for block 1 and 0.20 for block 2.
(a) Find the magnitude of the acceleration of the blocks.

(b) Find the tension in the string.

Equation:
Fk = Uk + FN
F = MA

(for individual mass)
Fn = mg cos theta
Fg = mg
Fparallel = mg sin theta

My trouble is how to start this. If this was just 1 mass, I would have no trouble but I get thrown off/confuse once they add a string and another mass.

Can someone suggest on how I start this?
I was thinking that M1 has the same Acc. as M2 but then I saw that they each have different kinetic coefficients. Can someone suggest on how to start this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
I good place to start would be to write down the sum of the forces acting on each block and then apply Newton's II law to each block individually.

I drew a free body diagrams for each block.

each mass has the same forces acting on them which is
Normal Force
Force of gravity
Force of friction
Tension Force

This is what I've been doing.
For M1 I have as the sum of the forces
(Force parallel)M1*g sin Theta + Tension Force - Friction Force = M1 * A

For M2 I have as the sum of the forces
(Force parallel)M2*g sin Theta - Tension Force - Friction Force = M2 * A

Is this correct? If so can I add these 2 equations to cancel out the tension?

maniacp08 said:
I drew a free body diagrams for each block.

each mass has the same forces acting on them which is
Normal Force
Force of gravity
Force of friction
Tension Force

This is what I've been doing.
For M1 I have as the sum of the forces
(Force parallel)M1*g sin Theta + Tension Force - Friction Force = M1 * A

For M2 I have as the sum of the forces
(Force parallel)M2*g sin Theta - Tension Force - Friction Force = M2 * A

Is this correct? If so can I add these 2 equations to cancel out the tension?
Looks good to me :approve:

Awsome! THanks!

How would I calculate the tension?

I found out the Acc = .115 m/s^2

maniacp08 said:
Awsome! THanks!

How would I calculate the tension?

I found out the Acc = .115 m/s^2
You can either eliminate a from your two equations and then solve for T, or simply plug the value of a into either one of the equations and solve for T.

It's always a good idea to check your answer by substituting both your values (T and a) into one or both of the equations to check that they work.

Thanks so much for your help =].
btw I like watching House too =]

1. What is friction?

Friction is the force that resists the motion of two surfaces that are in contact with each other. It is caused by the irregularities in the surfaces and the interlocking of molecules between the two surfaces.

2. Why is friction a problem?

Friction can be a problem because it can cause wear and tear on surfaces, decrease efficiency, and generate heat. It can also make it difficult to move objects or cause them to slow down.

3. What factors affect friction?

The factors that affect friction include the type of surfaces in contact, the force pushing the two surfaces together, and the smoothness or roughness of the surfaces.

4. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the two surfaces. Another way is to make the surfaces smoother, which reduces the amount of surface area in contact and thus decreases friction.

5. How is friction beneficial?

Friction is beneficial in many ways, such as providing grip for walking and driving, allowing us to write with pens and pencils, and enabling the functioning of machines and engines. It also helps in slowing down or stopping objects, preventing them from sliding or falling.