1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction Problem. need help

1. Feb 11, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Friction Problem. need help!!

Hey guys, im new on here. I have a test coming up and this was an example from an old test. I was wondering if someone could help me out and let me know the steps involved/ how to solve it. It would help me out ALOT. thanks

A student stands in an elevator that is continuously accelerating upward with acceleration a = 3.3 m/s^2. Her backpack (mass m = 8.0kg) is sitting on the floor next to the wall. The width of the elevator car is L = 3.2 m. The student gives her backpack a quick kick at t = 0, imparting to it speed v = 2.1 m/s, and making it slide across the elevator floor. At time t = 2.2s, the backpack hits the opposite wall. Find the coefficient of kinetic friction between the backpack and the elevator floor.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF,

For future reference, we have Science Education forums (see my signature) for bookwork questions. Now, for your actual question: Can you start by calculating the normal force exerted on the back-pack?
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  4. Feb 11, 2008 #3
    ahh ok, thanks for the tip. Ill post there next time.

Heres what ive found so far:

Uk(coefficient of kinetic friction)N=Fk ,

using N=mg, i got n=78.4 however because the elevator is moving up i found n= 26.4

from there i used the equation Vxf^2 = Vxi^2 + 2ax(Xf-Xi)
    I plugged in -Uka for ax ( based on a given equation) therefor,
    0 = Vxi^2-2(Uka)Xf
    (Vxi)^2/2AXf = Uk

Uk = (2.1 m/s)^2/2(3.3m/s^2)(3.2) => .21 = Uk

Im pretty sure i made a few mistakes in there. Does that look right?
  5. Feb 11, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your problem stems from here,
    I suggest that you draw yourself a FBD and mark on all the forces. You should note that the normal force must account for both the weight and the acceleration of the back-pack.
  6. Feb 11, 2008 #5
    Well u must compute the negative acceleration of the backpack. This should be a=f*(9.81+3.3). Then insert this to kinetic equation v*t - 0.5*a*t^2 = s, u know everything except f, so 2.1*2.2 - 0.5*f*(9.81+3.3)*2.2^2 = 3.2 The result = 0.0447
  7. Feb 11, 2008 #6
    ya i figured it out now, couldnt have done it without your guys help though. Thanks alot :biggrin:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?