Friction problem with pulleys

In summary: Ff = 0.429 NIn summary, the block with mass m2=0.50kg is found to have a speed of 0.30m/s after it has dropped 0.80m. To find the kinetic friction force retarding the motion of the block with mass m1=2.0kg, a string constraint can be used. By taking a derivative with respect to time twice, the relationship a1=2a2 is found. Using this relationship and the free body diagrams for each mass, the equation Ft-Ff=
braindead101
The block with mass m2=0.50kg is found to have a speed of 0.30m/s after it has dropped 0.80m. how large a (kinetic) friction force retards the motion of the block with mass m1=2.0kg?

(side note from teacher)
To solve this problem, you can use a string constraint. the total length of the string (L) is constant. However, as block m1 moves to the right, the portion of the string that is horizontal shortens by delta y and this length is distributed over the portion of the string taht is vertical according to the relationship; |delta x|=1/2|delta y|. By taking a derivative with respect to time twice, we have a1=2a2.

image_2Oj40.jpg

i think i did this completely wrong

i drew a free body diagram for each,for 1st free body diagram (mass1) and found m1 had Fn of 19.6

on the 2nd free body diagram (mass 2), i had Fg-Ft = ma
then, 4.9 N - 2Ft =0 , Ft = 2.45, then i said the Ft in the first free body diagram was also equal to 2.45, and therefore the kinetic friction force equals 2.45

its probably wrong, since i didnt use any info my teacher gave in the side note

Physics news on Phys.org
braindead101 said:
i drew a free body diagram for each,for 1st free body diagram (mass1) and found m1 had Fn of 19.6
on the 2nd free body diagram (mass 2), i had Fg-Ft = ma
then, 4.9 N - 2Ft =0 ,...
You put the accln of m2 as zero - it should be a2.

ohh.
okay, i did it like u said, but now I am stuck

for the mass 1 fbd, i got
Ft - Ff = a1

for the mass 2 fbd, i got
Fg - 2Ft = ma2 (is it 2Ft?)
then isolate for a2
4.9 - 2Ft = 0.5a2
9.8 - 4Ft = a2

and the equaion from fbd #1:
Ft - Ff = ma1
since a1 = 2a2
Ft - Ff = 4a2 (1)
then i substituted a2 into equation (1)
Ft - Ff = 4(9.8 - 4Ft)
Ft - Ff = 39.2 - 16Ft
17Ft = 39.2 + Ff

okay I am stuck, how do i find Ft?

braindead101 said:
ohh.
okay, i did it like u said, but now I am stuck
for the mass 1 fbd, i got
Ft - Ff = a1
then isolate for a2
4.9 - 2Ft = 0.5a2
9.8 - 4Ft = a2
and the equaion from fbd #1:
Ft - Ff = ma1
since a1 = 2a2
Ft - Ff = 4a2 (1)
then i substituted a2 into equation (1)
Ft - Ff = 4(9.8 - 4Ft)
Ft - Ff = 39.2 - 16Ft
17Ft = 39.2 + Ff
okay I am stuck, how do i find Ft?
You have,

9.8 - 4Ft = a2 (from fbd #2)
Ft - Ff = 4a2 (from fbd #1)

eliminate Ft from these two eqns, giving you,

9.8 - 4Ff = 17a2

Now use the info about the movement of m2 given in the question to work out a2.
Substitute for a2 and solve for Ff.

so, a2 = 0.30m/s / 0.80m = 0.375 m/s^2
and then sub it into get Ff = 0.856 N
oops, that's not the acceleraton
hmm, u need kinematics??
is the veloctiy given v1 or v2
a = 9.8 m/s^2
d= 0.80
if velocity given is v2, so v1 = 0?

Last edited:
actually i have a question, i used 2Ft in one of the equations, and I am wondering if this is right.

for this step i used 2Ft :

braindead101 said:
actually i have a question, i used 2Ft in one of the equations, and I am wondering if this is right.
Yes, that's right.

braindead101 said:
so, a2 = 0.30m/s / 0.80m = 0.375 m/s^2 ...
Nope, that's wrong :smile:
use the kinematic eqn,
v² = u² + 2as

1. What is friction in the context of pulleys?

Friction in the context of pulleys refers to the resistance that occurs when two surfaces come into contact and rub against each other. In this case, it is the resistance that occurs between the pulley and the rope or belt that is wrapped around it.

2. How does friction affect the movement of pulleys?

Friction can affect the movement of pulleys by reducing the efficiency of the system. As the rope or belt rubs against the pulley, it creates a force that opposes the direction of motion, making it harder for the pulley to rotate. This can result in a loss of energy and slower movement.

3. What are some ways to reduce friction in pulley systems?

There are a few ways to reduce friction in pulley systems. One way is to use lubricants, such as oil or grease, to create a slippery layer between the pulley and the rope or belt. Another way is to use ball bearings or other types of rollers within the pulley to reduce the contact surface area. Additionally, using materials with low coefficients of friction, such as plastic or Teflon, can also help reduce friction.

4. Can friction be completely eliminated in pulley systems?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate friction in pulley systems. However, it can be minimized through various techniques as mentioned in the previous question. Some amount of friction is necessary to maintain tension in the rope or belt and prevent slipping, so complete elimination is not desirable.

5. How does the angle of the rope or belt affect friction in pulley systems?

The angle of the rope or belt can affect friction in pulley systems. The greater the angle, the more contact there is between the rope or belt and the pulley, resulting in higher friction. This is why pulley systems are designed with smaller angles, as it reduces friction and makes the system more efficient.