Solving Maximum Acceleration for 4WD Car on Dry Road

• Thread starter jhk_1945
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, a car with four-wheel drive and a mass of 1000kg, evenly distributed on its four wheels, has a coefficient of static friction of 0.8 with a dry road. Starting from rest on a horizontal surface, the greatest forward acceleration the car can achieve without spinning its wheels is 7.84 m/s^2, calculated using the formula F = mu x Fn and dividing by the mass.
jhk_1945
A car with four-wheel drive has a mass of 1000kg. Its weight is evenly distributed on its four wheels. The coefficient of static friction with the dry road is 0.8. The car starts from rest on a horizontal surface. What is the greatest forward acceleration that the car can ahcieve without spinning its wheels?

I simply said F = mu x Fn
= 0.8x1000x9.8=7840N

and divided that by the mass to get 7840 / 1000 = 7.84 m/s^2

But I feel that this is isn't correctly answering the question. Can anyone please help me out!?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see what else u could do. Seems perfect 2 me

for your question. Your approach to solving for the maximum acceleration of the 4WD car is correct. The formula F = μFn is used to calculate the maximum static friction force, where μ is the coefficient of static friction and Fn is the normal force acting on the car. In this case, the normal force is equal to the weight of the car, which is evenly distributed on all four wheels.

To find the greatest forward acceleration that the car can achieve without spinning its wheels, we need to use Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration (F = ma). In this case, the net force is the maximum static friction force, and the acceleration we are trying to find is the greatest forward acceleration.

So, using F = ma, we can rearrange the formula to solve for acceleration: a = F/m. Plugging in the values we have, we get a = 7840 N / 1000 kg = 7.84 m/s^2. This means that the greatest forward acceleration the car can achieve without spinning its wheels is 7.84 m/s^2.

I hope this helps clarify your solution to the problem. Keep up the good work in your scientific studies!

1. What is maximum acceleration?

Maximum acceleration refers to the highest rate of change in velocity that a car can achieve. It is a measure of how quickly the car can increase its speed.

2. How is maximum acceleration calculated?

Maximum acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time taken to achieve that change. This can be represented by the equation a = ∆v/∆t, where a is the acceleration, ∆v is the change in velocity, and ∆t is the time taken to achieve the change.

3. What factors affect maximum acceleration for a 4WD car on a dry road?

The main factors that affect maximum acceleration for a 4WD car on a dry road include the power and torque of the engine, the weight and aerodynamics of the car, the grip and traction of the tires, and the road conditions.

4. How can maximum acceleration be improved for a 4WD car on a dry road?

To improve maximum acceleration for a 4WD car on a dry road, one can increase the power and torque of the engine, reduce the weight of the car, improve the aerodynamics, use high-performance tires with good grip and traction, and ensure the road is in good condition.

5. Why is maximum acceleration important for a 4WD car on a dry road?

Maximum acceleration is important for a 4WD car on a dry road as it can determine the car's ability to overtake, merge onto highways, and navigate through traffic. It is also important for racing and performance purposes.