What is the direction of acceleration and friction in this friction problem?

• Thread starter srh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the conversation discusses determining the friction force acting on a block at a 30 degree angle with a 200 N force. The equations used are for static and kinetic friction, with the values of 0.3 and 0.2 respectively. A free-body diagram is set up and the normal force and frictional force are solved for, resulting in values of 326.79 N and 966.025 N, respectively. The need for a better diagram and consideration of acceleration and direction of forces is also mentioned.
srh

Homework Statement

I have attached a picture. Determine the friction force acting on the block shown when the angle is 30 degrees and P=200 N.

Homework Equations

us=0.3 (static friction)
uk=0.2 (kinetic friction)

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up a free-body diagram w/the 1kN, P, Normal force and frictional force. I was able to solve for both the Normal force and frictional force. I got 326.79N for friction and 966.025 for Normal. I thought I was incorrect because it doesn't fit into the f<=usN

Attachments

• physics.JPG
    physics.JPG
    5 KB · Views: 380
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps if you showed your working, we could show you where you've gone wrong...

I would draw a better diagram :).

One with acceleration; in which direction is it pointing? Acceleration sets your positives/negatives on the axis on the diagram. The friction; in which way is friction pointing/acting?

After doing such you can do a summination of forces =).

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object as it moves against another surface or object.

2. What causes friction?

Friction is caused by the microscopic roughness of surfaces coming into contact with each other, which creates resistance to motion.

3. How is friction measured?

Friction is typically measured using a device called a friction meter or tribometer, which measures the force required to move one surface against another.

4. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces to create a slippery layer that reduces the roughness and allows for smoother movement.

5. What are some real-world applications of friction?

Friction is present in many everyday activities, such as walking, driving a car, and using tools. It is also essential in industrial processes, such as braking systems, and is used in sports, such as ice skating and rock climbing.