1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction Problem

1. Oct 6, 2004 #1
    I am having trouble with this problem. I found the answer to a to be 14 N, but the online quiz says it is wrong. Fx-f=0. Fcos(theta)-f=0. f=18cos40=14 N. What am I doing wrong?

A 3.5 kg block is pushed along a horizontal floor by a force F of magnitude 18 N at an angle = 40° with the horizontal (Figure 6-20). The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and floor is 0.25.
    (a) Calculate the magnitude of the frictional force on the block from the floor.
    (b) Calculate the magnitude of the block's acceleration acceleration.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2004 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Welcome to PF!
    In order to delete in the other forum, press the "Edit button". On top of that, there's a "Delete" option.

4. Oct 6, 2004 #3

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

[tex] F_{x} - F_{f} [/tex] is not 0, It is moving on the x-axis.

Remember

[tex] F_{f} = \mu N [/tex]

5. Oct 6, 2004 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

For your problem:
    Note that the NORMAL force acting on the block must be GREATER than the weight, due the vertical component of F.
    Hence, the frictional force is also greater..

6. Oct 6, 2004 #5
    So if [tex] F_{f} = \mu N,[/tex] then [tex] F_{f} = \mu * (mg+18sin40) = .25 * ((3.5*9.8)+18sin40) = 12 N? [/tex]

7. Oct 6, 2004 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

That looks correct, yes.
    (Do you understand, to your own satisfaction, why you need that addition to the weight?)
    I haven't checked your numbers, though..

8. Oct 6, 2004 #7
    Oops. I mistyped. The correct answer is 11 N I'm hoping. Yes I do now see why the normal force is greater than the weight. Thanks for all of the help.

9. Oct 6, 2004 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Perhaps you shouldn't round down to an integer answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?