Solving Friction Problem with L-shaped Bar

• Thread starter Lancelot59
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
Your Name]In summary, the problem is to find the minimum downward force needed to keep a drum from spinning on an L-shaped bar. The bar is 500mm tall and 1m long, with one end hinged and the other end having a vertically downward force applied. The drum has a radius of 125mm and exerts a moment of 35 N*m. The coefficient of static friction between the drum and the bar is 0.4. After correctly calculating the normal force at the contact point to be 700N, the necessary force needed to match that is still incorrect. It is important to consider the moment created by the drum's radius and the force applied at the end of the bar, as well as the
Lancelot59
I can't post a picture a the moment, but hopefully my description will work.

There is an L shaped bar that is shaped like this:

Code:
-----------------------
     o                 |
                       |
                       |
                       A
The O is a drum that has a radius of 125 mm and exerts a moment of 35 N*m. The bar is 500mm tall, and 1 m long, and hinged at point A. The drum sits 700mm from the other end, and has a vertically downward force applied at the very end, 300mm from the drum.

There is a coefficient of static friction or 0.4 between the drum and the bar. The problem is to find the minimum downward force applied at the end of the bar to keep the drum from spinning.

I correctly calculated the normal force at the contact point to be 700N. However I can't get the correct necessary force to match that.

I tried the following to calculate the moment created by the normal force:
(I converted the measurements into metres.

[tex](0.7,0.5,0) X (0,700,0)=(0,0,490)[/tex]

Then:
[tex](1,0.5,0) X (0,F,0)=(0,0,490)[/tex]

490=1*F-0

However the force is apparently 350N.

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your detailed description of the problem. Based on your calculations, it seems that you are on the right track. However, there may be a few things to consider when calculating the minimum downward force needed to keep the drum from spinning.

Firstly, it is important to note that the moment created by the normal force is not the only factor at play here. The moment created by the drum's radius and the force applied at the end of the bar also need to be taken into account.

Secondly, the coefficient of static friction between the drum and the bar will also play a role in determining the minimum force needed. In this case, the frictional force will act in the opposite direction of the applied force, and will need to be greater than or equal to the moment created by the normal force and the force applied at the end of the bar.

Lastly, make sure that all of your measurements and calculations are in the same units (meters in this case) to avoid any errors.

I would suggest revisiting your calculations and taking into account all of these factors to see if you can arrive at the correct solution. If you are still having trouble, feel free to provide more details or specific numbers so that I can assist you further.

Best of luck with your calculations!

1. What is friction and how does it affect the L-shaped bar?

Friction is the resistance that occurs when two surfaces rub against each other. In the case of the L-shaped bar, friction can have a significant impact on the stability and movement of the bar.

2. What are the factors that contribute to friction in the L-shaped bar?

The factors that contribute to friction in the L-shaped bar include the material of the bar and the surface it is resting on, the weight and shape of the bar, and the force applied to the bar.

3. How can I reduce friction in the L-shaped bar?

There are a few methods for reducing friction in the L-shaped bar. One approach is to use lubricants such as oil or grease on the contact points of the bar. Another method is to use bearings or rollers to help the bar move smoothly. Additionally, keeping the surfaces of the bar and the resting surface clean can also help reduce friction.

4. How can I calculate the amount of friction in the L-shaped bar?

To calculate the amount of friction in the L-shaped bar, you will need to know the coefficient of friction, which is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces. You will also need to know the normal force, which is the force exerted on the bar perpendicular to the surface it is resting on. With this information, you can use the formula F = μN to calculate the friction force.

5. What are some common techniques for solving friction problems in the L-shaped bar?

Some common techniques for solving friction problems in the L-shaped bar include using free body diagrams to analyze the forces acting on the bar, using equations such as Newton's laws of motion to calculate the net force on the bar, and experimenting with different materials and surface conditions to find the optimal solution for reducing friction.