1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction problem

1. Mar 31, 2003 #1
    These are two separate questions, each of them together, in a way.

1. A truck rolls down a 7.8 degree hill with a constant speed of 30.0 m/s. At the bottom of the hill it continues on a horizontal surface. How far will the truck go before it stops?

For this I made a diagram with a right-angle triangle where the hypotenuse of the triangle was gravity, and the shortest side was the hill the truck was moving on. I discovered its deceleration due to friction by multiplying gravity by the sin of 7.8, mass being irrelevant. From this I used the formula vf^2 = vi^2 + 2 * ad,
    giving me 0 = 30^2 + 2*-1.33136*d. The d I got was 338 m.

2. The truck instead goes up a 15-degree ramp with a kinetic coefficient of friction of 0.8. How far would it go? What is its deceleration?

I made the slope hill the X axis in a diagram, and determined that two forces were responsible for deceleration, friction and the x component of gravity, each pointing opposite to the movement of the truck. 9.81*sin(15) + 9.81*0.8 = deceleration, which, when used with the same formula as above gave me 43.3 as the distance.

I have an awkward feeling that I didn't do these problems right, and I know my explanations sound confusing when the diagrams aren't there. Any help?
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2003 #2
    Hi anathema,
    1. looks OK IMO.
    2. looks wrong. I think you should take into account that only the normal component of gravity contributes to friction.
  4. Apr 1, 2003 #3
    Thanks! Yeah that's what I discovered too, that I had to take the normal component of gravity to use for friction. In either case I changed them in time and both questions were marked correctly.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?