1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction problem

1. Sep 25, 2005 #1
    The question is:

A car is traveling at 50 mi/h on a horizontal highway. If the coefficient of static friction between road and tires on a rainy day is 0.10, what is the minimum distance in which the car will stop?

I know how to solve it using static friction, but I don't understand why only static friction is needed in the problem, and kinetic friction does not apply.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2005 #2
    What is static friction? A force which prevents any relative motion until its threshold is reached. So in order to keep the friction between the road and your tires, you must maintain a minimum acceleration. And once you find this acceleration, you can find the minimum distance it will take to stop.

4. Sep 25, 2005 #3
    so does that mean, when I press the breaks, there is only static friction between the tires and the road?

5. Sep 25, 2005 #4

Päällikkö

Homework Helper

With (an ideal) ABS, I suppose, there's only static friction(?)

6. Sep 25, 2005 #5

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is correct, as long as your wheels are not skidding they maintain static friction with the road. Consider the difference between skidding and rolling.

7. Sep 25, 2005 #6
    ohh, ok, I get it now. Thank you for the help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?