1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction Problems

1. Sep 27, 2005 #1

I managed to do most of the question(whether it's wrong or right), Figured out friction was 7.23N, and the box slides down with 9.64 N if the force is not applied... But what I'm confused on is, how do you use a Y component to cancel out the x component? (I mean if you draw a coordinate plane perpendicular to the incline, then the 9.64 is going straight down the x axis and the perpendicular froce being asked is going straight down the y axis)

I figure if the load cant slide forward, the net force should be 0, therefore accerlation must be 0 too, but thats where I'm stuck...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2005 #2
    Force of friction is mu times the normal force. So if you increase the normal force, what happens to the force of friction?

4. Sep 27, 2005 #3

ahh right friction increases too, so thats how you cancel out the x component of gravity... Thanks, I'll go try it now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?