Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Friction Problems

1. Sep 27, 2005 #1

I managed to do most of the question(whether it's wrong or right), Figured out friction was 7.23N, and the box slides down with 9.64 N if the force is not applied... But what I'm confused on is, how do you use a Y component to cancel out the x component? (I mean if you draw a coordinate plane perpendicular to the incline, then the 9.64 is going straight down the x axis and the perpendicular froce being asked is going straight down the y axis)

I figure if the load cant slide forward, the net force should be 0, therefore accerlation must be 0 too, but thats where I'm stuck...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2005 #2
    Force of friction is mu times the normal force. So if you increase the normal force, what happens to the force of friction?

4. Sep 27, 2005 #3

ahh right friction increases too, so thats how you cancel out the x component of gravity... Thanks, I'll go try it now.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook