Calculating Wood Friction on Metal: Solving for Time

In summary, the problem involves placing a piece of wood on a 227cm long piece of metal at a 25 degree angle. The coefficient of friction is 0.34. The goal is to find the time it takes for the wood to reach the bottom of the metal. To solve this, you need to find the acceleration using Newton's 2nd law and the net force. The components of the wood's weight and the normal force between the surfaces also need to be determined. After solving for the net force and using the equation T=sqrt(454m/Fnet), the final answer should be obtained. However, the calculated answer of 9.6 seconds may be incorrect and further investigation is needed.
vanquish

Homework Statement

You place a piece of wood onto a 227cm long piece of metal on a 25 angle. The [tex]\mu[/tex]=.34 How long does it take for the piece of wood to reach the bottom of the metal?

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta[/tex]X=227
Vi=0
a=?
t=?

[tex]\Delta[/tex]X=ViT+.5at^2
227=.5at^2

a=Fnet/m
[tex]\mu[/tex]=Ff/Fn

The Attempt at a Solution

I have 2 pages of work for this problem and it's obvious to me that I'm missing something crucial. I tried this problem a few times, the first time I calculated the wrong [tex]\mu[/tex] and the second time I have no idea what happened

I can't reproduce my free body diagram for you but I can tell you what I broke the components down into:
Fg=y'/sin25
Fg=x'/cos25

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to find the acceleration. To do that, you'll need the net force and Newton's 2nd law.

Try to give symbolic answers (not numbers) to these questions:

What are the components of the wood's weight parallel and perpendicular to the incline?

What's the normal force between the surfaces?

What's the friction force acting on the wood?

What's the net force acting on the wood?

Thats what I ended up doing but my answer came out to be 9.7 seconds, which is extremely wrong.

If I leave a as Fnet/m I end up with T=sqrt(454m/Fnet) So then I need to solve for Fnet in a way in which m cancels out (thats what my teacher said atleast). So Fnet=Fn-Ff
Fg=Ff/sin25
Fg=Fn/cos25

Fn=Fgcos25
Ff=Fgsin25

EDIT: Just worked it out that way and got the same answer 9.6 seconds... which is horribly wrong... any ideas?

Last edited:
Why don't you try answering my questions?

1. What is wood friction?

Wood friction is the force that resists the motion of two objects in contact with each other, where one or both of the objects are made of wood.

2. How does wood friction affect everyday life?

Wood friction can have a significant impact on our daily lives. It is responsible for the grip of our shoes on the ground, the movement of vehicles on the road, and the ability to hold objects in our hands.

3. What factors affect wood friction?

The amount of friction between two pieces of wood can be affected by several factors, such as the type and condition of the wood, the surface texture, the amount of force applied, and the presence of any lubricants.

4. Can wood friction be reduced?

Yes, wood friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oils or waxes, between the two surfaces in contact. Additionally, polishing or sanding the surfaces can also reduce friction.

5. How is wood friction measured?

Wood friction can be measured using a device called a tribometer, which measures the coefficient of friction between two surfaces. This coefficient is a numerical value that represents the amount of friction between the two surfaces.