Find Magnitude & Direction of Force P for Friction Question

• Thread starter snshusat161
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the problem involves two rectangular blocks connected by a string and resting on an inclined plane and a horizontal surface. The coefficient of friction is given and the goal is to find the magnitude and direction of the least force P at which the motion of the blocks will impend. After setting up equations for the two bodies, the value of P can be calculated if the value of theta is known. By manipulating the equations, it can be determined that P will be minimum when the value of sine is at its maximum, which occurs when theta minus phi is equal to ninety degrees.
snshusat161

Homework Statement

Two rectangular blocks of weight, A = 150 N and B = 100N are connected by a string and rest on an inclined plane and on a horizontal surface as shown in the figure. The coefficient of friction for all contiguous surfaces is [tex]\mu[/tex] = 0.2. Find the magnitude and direction of the least force P at which the motion of the block will impend.
attachment.php?attachmentid=29400&stc=1&d=1288005670.jpg

Homework Equations

frictional force = [tex]\mu[/tex]. N

where N = normal rection

The Attempt at a Solution

I had calculated T In the string from box A and then I have made two equations from box B. The only think I am unable to find is the angle [tex]\theta[/tex]. Somebody help me to find that angle.

Answer: P = 161.7 N and [tex]\theta[/tex] = 11.31 degree

sorry for the poor diagram. I don't have a scanner.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 425
Physics news on Phys.org
Well what two equations did you get?

Hard to show me in the diagram but I know you all can understand cause you all are very well known to such resolution of forces. So I'm proceeding directly without any diagram.

For body A

N = 150 cos 60 = 75 N

T =[tex]\mu[/tex] N + 150 sin 60
= 145 N

For body B

R + P sin[tex]\theta[/tex] = 100 ......(i)

[tex]\mu[/tex] R + 145 = P cos[tex]\theta[/tex]

= 0.2 R - P cos[tex]\theta[/tex] = -145 ...(ii)

Now I can solve this two equations and can calculate the value of P if I know value of [tex]\theta[/tex]. I want your help.

bump!

hi snshusat161! :smile:

(have a mu: µ and a theta: θ :wink:)

subtitute for R from (i) into (ii), and your equation should be of the form P(Acosθ + Bsinθ) = C …

now write Acosθ + Bsinθ as a multiple of cos(θ+φ), for some φ :smile:

tiny-tim said:
hi snshusat161! :smile:

(have a mu: µ and a theta: θ :wink:)

subtitute for R from (i) into (ii), and your equation should be of the form P(Acosθ + Bsinθ) = C …

now write Acosθ + Bsinθ as a multiple of cos(θ+φ), for some φ :smile:

then I will have 1.01P Cos ([tex]\theta[/tex] - 78.96) = 165

and still i have two unknowns and only one equation. :confused:

that 60 degree is not the value of [tex]\theta[/tex]. It is unclear in diagram but [tex]\theta[/tex] is the angle made by force P on the horizontal. (block A).

snshusat161 said:
Hard to show me in the diagram but I know you all can understand cause you all are very well known to such resolution of forces. So I'm proceeding directly without any diagram.

For body A

N = 150 cos 60 = 75 N

= 145 N

For body B

Now I can solve this two equations and can calculate the value of P if I know value of [tex]\theta[/tex]. I want your help.

Sorry, I made a mistake here.

Here's the correct one

For body B

N = 150 cos 60 = 75 N

= 145 N

For body A

(just got up :zzz: …)

(what happened to that θ i gave you? :confused:)

snshusat161 said:
then I will have 1.01P Cos ([tex]\theta[/tex] - 78.96) = 165

and still i have two unknowns and only one equation. :confused:

ok, if that was the correct equation, what it would tell you?

it says that you can get the desired motion for different values of θ, and for each value of θ there's only one value of P …

but for what value of θ is that value of P a minimum? :smile:

sorry it was sine not cosine. so p will be minimum for max value of sine. i.e theta minus phi is equal to ninety. thanks tiny tim you really explained me in a very interesting nice and smart way.
i am on phone so I'm inclined to use texting language. please ignore if you feel that my posts are breaking any rules.

1. What is the force of friction?

The force of friction is the resistance force that acts between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities of the surfaces and can either be kinetic (when the surfaces are in motion) or static (when the surfaces are at rest).

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of force of friction?

The magnitude of force of friction can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction (a value that depends on the nature of the surfaces in contact) by the normal force (the force perpendicular to the surface of contact).

3. What is the direction of the force of friction?

The direction of the force of friction is always opposite to the direction of motion or the applied force. For example, if an object is sliding to the right, the force of friction will act to the left, slowing down the object's motion.

4. How do you find the direction of force P for friction?

To find the direction of force P for friction, you need to consider the direction of motion or applied force and the direction of the friction force. If the object is moving to the right, the force of friction will act to the left, so force P will act to the right. If the object is moving to the left, the force of friction will act to the right, so force P will act to the left.

5. What is the significance of determining the magnitude and direction of force P for friction?

Determining the magnitude and direction of force P for friction is important in understanding the motion of objects and predicting their behavior. It can also help in designing and improving machines and structures, as well as in preventing accidents caused by friction, such as in braking systems for vehicles.