1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction questions

1. Jan 3, 2008 #1
    I am having trouble with two concept questions.

We did a lab measuring static and dynamic friction for cardboard, rubber, sandpaper, and cork with a wood block.
    Calculations show that the coefficient of static friction is always greater that that of kinetic friction.

The questions are:
    a) How do the coeffients of static and kinetic frictions compare? Explain.
    My answer was that the coeff. of static friction is always greater, reason being that it takes a greater force to get an object to start moving from rest (acceleration), which is when static f. was measured, versus just keeping an object moving (a = 0).

b) Do "smoother" surfaces always have less friction than "rougher" ones?
    Ans: No, because it depends on the other surface they are interacting with??

I have tried to answer them, but if someone could just check and point out what is wrong I would appreciate it. I think i got the first question right but i'm pretty sure the second one is wrong.I really don't know how to answer b.
    What are the concepts behind the second one? Because i truly don't even know where to start with that.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You must have learned from the lab, right? A rough surface can have a smaller coefficient of friction than a smooth one. The ultimate source of friction is adhesion between groups of molecules and a smooth surface can put a lot more molecules in close proximity than a rough one. There are, of course, exceptions to every rule, but to say ALWAYS is just plain wrong. Your answer is right.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?