1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction/Torque question.

1. Apr 20, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A painter wishes to know whether or not she can safely stand on a ladder. The ladder has a mass M1 = 14 kg which is uniformly distributed throughout its length L = 8.6 m. The ladder is propped up at an angle theta = 52o. The coefficient of static friction between the ground and the ladder is mus = 0.45, and the wall against which the ladder is resting is frictionless. Calculate the maximum mass of the painter for which the ladder will remain stable when she climbs a distance d = 5.2 m up the ladder. (The painter's mass might be so low that only Lilliputian painters can safely ascend the ladder.)

2. Relevant equations
    Fric = Us*N
    F=m*a
    Torque= r *(dot)F

3. The attempt at a solution

Right now I'm just looking for a poke in the right direction. I can't even figure out where to start. I know that the frictional force is going to be at a maximum when the weight is at the maximum. I think that the normal force will be the 137.2 N from the ladder + 9.8*the mass of the painter. But how do I figure out what the maximum Fric will be? I also know that the problem has to do with torque. Any help is appreciated, I'm new so I'm sorry if I didn't give it enough effort but I've been staring at it and my book for about an hour to an hour and a half and couldn't get anywhere.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2007 #2
    First step draw a free body diagram and list every single force that applies. The floor puts a normal force on the ladder, the wall puts a normal force on the ladder, weight of the ladder, weight of the painter. This is a statics problem meaning that the sum of the forces need to equal 0, if they didn't then she'd be falling. Try summing forces in the x and y directions. Once you find that you have too many unknowns try summing torques to your advantage, they have to sum to 0 as well. I hope that starts you in the right direction.

4. Apr 20, 2007 #3
    So I drew it out after dinner and I came up with this.
    If m=mass of the painter, and Nx is the force by the ladder on the painter(in the x-direction), and Ny is the force by the ladder on the painter(in the y-direction) then my equations look like:

(9.8m + 14*9.8)Cos(52) = .45(9.8m + 137.2)N - In the x-direction

Ny = (9.8m + 137.2) - y-direction

Ny^2 + Nx^2 = N^2

I realize these are probably off and you all are chuckling at home at my attempt :rofl: but any help is appreciated. Still stuck.
    Thanks,
    Matt

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?