Static Friction & Friction Coefficient | fsN

• Thread starter Femme_physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coefficient
In summary: You just need to be more clear about the terminology and defining the line of motion as the line of action of the forces involved. In summary, static friction is a self-adjusting force that can be calculated using the formula fsN (static friction x Normal force). This formula only applies when a body is about to slide. If the force applied is not enough to cause sliding, then the friction force will be equal to the applied force to keep the body at rest. The line of motion should be referred to as the line of action of the forces involved, and this concept is important to understand in various scenarios.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
I know that fsN (static friction x Normal force) is max static friction that can be applied on a force. But when max isn't used, does that mean the friction coefficient is lower?

Physics news on Phys.org
No the coeficient does not vary,

The formula

F = [tex]\mu[/tex]R

only holds for a body about to slide.

This is always specified in questions for this reason.

Say we have a 10KN weight sitting on a surface and [tex]\mu[/tex]=1 and we push it with a force of 5KN.
The weight does not move since the opposing force of friction is 5 KN.

In this situation [tex]\mu[/tex] is not equal to 1/2. It is still = 1, we cannot use the formula so we have to know the horizontal force by other means.

Hope this helps

Ahhhhhhhhhhh...helps a bunch. Mercy.

Static friction is a self adjusting force , if the net force applied in the line of motion is sufficient to allow relative motion between the surface and the body , only then the maximum friction acts on the body that is kinetic friction (coefficient of friction x normal reaction ) . If the force applied in the line of motion is less than what is sufficient to allow sliding then friction force equal to the magnitude of the applied force acts on the body , so as to keep the body at rest.

Sankalp Sethi.

Hello Sankalp, welcome to Physics Forums.

If the force applied in the line of motion is less than what is sufficient to allow sliding then friction force equal to the magnitude of the applied force acts on the body , so as to keep the body at rest.

If a body is at rest, and therefore has no motion, how can it have a 'line of motion' ?

Perhaps San refers to this graph?

[PLAIN]http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/2187/staticfriction.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Dory,

Static friction is a self adjusting force

I realized that you understood this (and more) from your original post.

I know that fsN (static friction x Normal force) is max static friction that can be applied on a force.

Whilst the above is true, Sankalp has made quite a complicated statement that could lead to future difficulties.

In particular referring to a 'line of motion' is inappropriate for a body at rest.

It is even difficult for some bodies in motion.

What, for instance is the line of motion of two friction gears meshing together? That is two wheels, one rolling round the circumference of the other.

Or the motion of one of the wheels of a car compared to the car as a whole?

Or say you have a bicycle with a sprung front wheel, going over a bump. What is the line of motion of that wheel compared to the line of action of the force of friction?

It is far better (and easier) to keep discussion of 'lines' to lines of action of the forces involved. These will always work out, whatever the motion of the system.

I think Studiot is correct , we cannot define a line of motion incase a body is at rest , it should be line of action , sorry , wrong choice of words. Except that , i feel that my explanation is correct , isn't it?

Except that , i feel that my explanation is correct , isn't it?

Yes you had the right idea.

1. What is static friction?

Static friction is the force that keeps an object at rest on a surface. It is the resistance between two surfaces that are not moving relative to each other.

2. How is static friction different from kinetic friction?

Static friction occurs when an object is at rest, while kinetic friction occurs when an object is in motion. The magnitude of static friction is typically greater than that of kinetic friction.

3. What factors affect the value of the friction coefficient?

The value of the friction coefficient, represented by the symbol μ, depends on the types of materials in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the force pressing the surfaces together.

4. How is the friction coefficient measured?

The friction coefficient can be measured by conducting experiments where the force required to move an object across a surface is compared to the weight of the object pressing down on the surface. The ratio of these two values is the friction coefficient.

5. Can the friction coefficient be greater than 1?

Yes, the friction coefficient can be greater than 1. This indicates that the force required to move an object is greater than the weight of the object itself. However, in most cases, the friction coefficient is less than 1.