1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frictional force on a sphere

1. Nov 3, 2005 #1
    Ok, I need to find the frictional force on sphere of radius [itex]a[/itex] and mass [itex]M[/itex] moving with velocity [itex]v[/itex] in an ideal gas at temperature [itex]T[/itex].

If I put myself in the sphere frame, then diffrential cross-section is
    \frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega} = \frac{a^2}{4}
    and the total cross-section is [itex]\sigma_{\textrm{tot}}=\pi a^2[/itex]. How do I find the frictional force from this? Ellastic collisions between the sphere and the gas particules are assumed.

Any help greatly appreciated.
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2005 #2
    Ok, here's what I tought:

If the gas has density [itex]\rho[/itex] than the number of molecules in a volume [itex]\sigma_{\textrm{tot}}dx[/itex] is [itex]dN=\pi \rho a^2 dx[/itex]. If collisions are ellastic, then
    \textbf{p}_s + \textbf{p}_i = \textbf{p}_s' + \textbf{p}_i'
    where the [itex]s[/itex] and the [itex]i[/itex] denote respectively the momentum of the sphere and the [itex]i[/itex]th molecule. The prime denotes the momentum after collision. (I assumed that molecules do not collide simultaneously.)

The change in speed of the sphere is
    dv = \frac{|\textbf{p}_s' - \textbf{p}_s|}{M}
    From accelaration [itex]dv/dx[/itex] if the [itex]x[/itex] direction is chosen along the movement of the sphere we can find the resistance force
    F = M\frac{dv}{dx}
    Now I need to evaluate either [itex]\textbf{p}_s' - \textbf{p}_s[/itex] or [itex]\textbf{p}_i - \textbf{p}_i'[/itex].

Anyone can help?
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?