How Do You Calculate the Coefficient of Kinetic Friction on a Slide?

• Thread starter just.karl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the problem involves finding the coefficient of kinetic friction between a child and a playground slide, given the child's acceleration and the angle of the slide. The solution involves creating a free body diagram and considering the forces acting on each side. The normal force and the weight are important factors in this problem. In the second conversation, the problem is to find the maximum amount a spring can be stretched while a 2.0kg box remains at rest on an inclined plank. The coefficient of static friction and the spring's force constant are key components in solving this problem. Hooke's Law may be useful in finding a solution.
just.karl
A child goes down a playground slide with an acceleration of 1.16m/s^2. Find the coefficient of kinetic friction between the child and the slide if the slide is inclined at an angle of 31.0 degrees below the horizontal.

I know F_k =M_k(N) is used somewhere but I'm lost otherwise where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
start with a free body diagram and tell me what forces are on each side of it.

remember to put the direction of gravity relative to your diagram.

I have kinetic friction going to the left proportional to x y coordinates on the free body diagram. Natural force N going vertical with y. The weight at 31 degrees below x downward.

I think you mean the normal force. So... what do you get for the normal force?

Sorry yes I do mean normal force. I've figured out the problem since. Thanks for your help anyways.

This is what I'm stuck on right now.
A 2.0kg box rests on a plank that is inclined at a angle of 65 degrees above the horizontal. The upper end of the box is attached to a spring with a force constant of 360 N/m. If the coefficient of the static friction between the box and the plank is 0.22, what is the maximum amount the spring can be stretched and the box remain at rest?

I'm lost at how to go about at the problem. I started with figuring out the max static friction but I can't figure out how that would relate to the springs force constant.

does Hooke's Law help any?

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the relative motion or tendency of motion between two surfaces in contact.

2. What causes friction?

Friction is caused by the microscopic roughness of surfaces in contact, which creates resistance to motion.

3. How does friction affect everyday life?

Friction plays a crucial role in everyday life, as it allows us to walk, hold objects, and drive vehicles. It also helps to slow down objects in motion, making it easier to control and stop them.

4. Can friction be reduced or eliminated?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, to create a smooth surface between two objects. It can also be reduced by using materials with low friction coefficients, such as Teflon. However, it cannot be completely eliminated as it is a natural force.

5. How do scientists measure friction?

Scientists use a device called a tribometer to measure friction between two surfaces. This device applies a known force to an object and measures the force required for it to move or slide across another surface.